News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WW1 Victory Medals General Discussion

I'm all for it being a put together, someone (maybe George?) at some stage has married up the medal and ribbon.

A quick look at the service record shows R8840 George Crow attested in Jan. 1915 at the age of 19 years and 26 days and was discharged because of sickness as he suffered with gastritis.

He served in the KRRC, Northants. Regt., 1/6 Sussex Cyclist Bn. and Royal Sussex Depot Bn., being discharged with chronic gastritis 29/9/17.

4480 G. Crow was from London and joined the army in 1902 whereas 8840 G. Crow was from Newcastle. Does the passenger list show an address?

Thanks Tony - the age on attestation matches the Passenger List age. The Last Residence in UK address is just 'Cunard White Star, Liverpool'. He's with his wife Daisy, and seems to be permanently resident in England.

I suppose the other answer is that someone had some medal 'bits', and stuck them together to sell on the Bay!

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

And I thought that my Brazilian vic, at £2500, was expensive! On eBay this morning was a British vic for £36,526 - mind you, it came with an identity bracelet made from a French silver coin!!

It's now been taken down, after several people asked the seller if he really meant to ask that amount.

Bill

• 4 weeks later...

I have taken the trouble of mounting my collection, thus far.  My examples of the Siamese and Brazilian medals are reproductions (as well as, possibly, my "landing victory" Italian), but all others are genuine as far as I know. 

I am missing several major variants, including Greece unofficial type 3, Italy official type 5 and unofficial types 2 and 3, Portugal official type 1 and unofficial type 2, and South Africa type 2.  I have seen both the South African type 2 and Portuguese unofficial type 2 for sale online, but both got away from me.  The others, I have never seen at all, as far as I remember.  Anyone aware of any of these for sale somewhere?

IMG_0807.JPG

Edited by davidck

Hello David,

You have asked a very good question but there is no easy answer.  The examples types that you have listed as still looking for, are particularly difficult to obtain.  As I am sure you will note on the various sub-thread posts, some examples are particularly difficult to find even amongst very experienced and long-time collectors.

All you can do is to continue to check online medal auction houses, medal dealers, and various online auction places.  I would also suggest you may want to place a section in the wanted area of the forum.  It has worked in the past for other forum members.

Good luck.

Regards,
    Rob

• 4 weeks later...
    • 7 months later...
    • 2 years later...