News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Vasa order

Then why did

Friedrich Wilhelm Julius Georg Alexander Joseph Ernst Freiherr von Verschuer (Annahme des kurf?rstlich hessischen Freiherrntitels 1839 f?r diese Familie mit niederl?ndischen Adelstitel), geboren Fritzlar 1827, gestorben Salzburg 1902; 1846 Secondelieutenant, reichte 1850 keinen Abschied ein, 1852 Premierlieutenant, 1858 Rittmeister, 1859-1866 Fl?geladjutant des Kurf?rsten, 1861 Kommandeur der Garde-Gendarmerie zu Pferde, 1866 w?rde er von der ?bernahme in die preu?ischen Armee ausgeschlossen, trat in den unmittelbaren Diensten des Kurf?rsten und ging mit Friedrich Wilhelm I. ins Exil. Er diente vor?bergehend 1866-1872 als Hofmarschall.

?FJ-2, GHPO-2X, SW-C, DD-3, HG-3X. Arndt S. 491; Rosenwald, Offiziere Nr. 312 S. 57.

get it as well? Any ideas or similar examples?

Edited by David M

The Order of Vasa was intended as a reward for services in a number of fields, for presentation to persons not eligible for the "service orders" of the Sword and the Polar Star.

Above all, this order was intended as recognition of good services to agriculture and mining, technical progress and commerce.

The Order of Vasa was a free order, i.e. unrestricted by rules of birth and education.

The cross of the order is composed on the same lines as the insignia of the more senior orders and is surmounted by a crowned sheaf, the emblem of the Vasa dynasty.

The information comes from the site of the Swedish Monarchy, the Orders section.

Hi Carol,

I found the details on this site, and coulnt understand why a Hofmarschall would get an order for mining, agriculture aso....is there a list of rolls published on the Vasa-order?

David

I found the details on this site, and coulnt understand why a Hofmarschall would get an order for mining, agriculture aso....

I think the key stands in the "for presentation to persons not eligible for the "service orders" of the Sword and the Polar Star". Another description I have found mentioned that it was awarded for agriculture, mining, art, manufacture, technical progress, commerce, education and the free arts (pretty much everything). Thus, I guess Order of Vasa has been the solution to award some people a Swedish order, without the prestige of the military Order of the Sword or the civilian Order of the Polar Star.

is there a list of rolls published on the Vasa-order?

None that I know of, but maybe some information exists in the Swedish State Calendars.

Well my guess was that the Wasa order may have still been awarded by the exiled Kings and princes of Swedens Wasa dynastie, who sympathized with the kurhessian exiled souvereign. Any proof to back this theorie up??

David

I looked him up in the Danish state calendar. He was awarded his Danish Dannebrog knight cross on 22. May 1861 and my guess is that he received the Swedish order around the same time.

At that time he was "Hess.-Cassel Major und Fl?geladjudant" according to the calendar and probably was awarded both orders in connection with state visits. Are you able to find out if the Kurf?rst went on a trip to Sweden and Denmark around 1861?

And I agree with Carol I. Especially for foreigners, the Swedish orders was used to indicate the status of the award (the highest ranking was the Order of the Sword, followed by the Order of the North Star and finally the Order of the Vasa). It mattered less what their initial statutes said.

/Mike

A bit off-topic, but may be interesting: Swedish subjects have not been eligible for orders of merit since 1975. They may receive only medals. Swedish orders are now bestowed solely upon foreign recipients.

Lukasz

A bit off-topic, but may be interesting: Swedish subjects have not been eligible for orders of merit since 1975. They may receive only medals. Swedish orders are now bestowed solely upon foreign recipients.

The Order of the Sword and the Order of Vasa are no longer awarded.

The archives in Marburg do give the following information:

Mission des Fl?geladjutanten Rittmeister Freiherr von Verschuer zur ?berbringung der kurf?rstlichen Gl?ckw?nsche zur Goldenen Hochzeit des Landgrafen Wilhelm von Hessen in Kopenhagen; [Anzeige zum Tod der Landgr?fin Louise Charlotte] 1861-1864

Would the award of the Knightscross in the danish Danneborg order also be around this time? Would this be researchable for you Great Dane?

Thanks so much for the SWC awarddate!!!!

David

Hi David,

A court-order was instituted in 1744, when Crown-Prince Adolf Fredrik married the Preussian princess Lovisa Ulrika and was named "l'ordre de l'harmonie", (solar-fan Order). In 1748, the first three Knight Orders were instituted by Fredrik I i.e. Seraphimer (highest ranking Order ;) ), Sword and North Star. The Seraphimer was given to foreign kings and princes, or Swedish civil servants who had distinguished themselves. The Order of the Sword was a purely military order.

Now to the question starting this thread. The statues of the Order of the North Star stipulates roughly: honest, renowed and loyal men of the King and servants who through brilliance and useful work, new and favourable appliances etc. Consequently this order was mainly intended for scientists or civil servants. In 1771, Gustav III instituted the Order of Vasa. It's statues has already been accounted for here, but it also opened up for the possibility to award others than just scientists or civil servants.

KR

Peter