News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I'm not sure if this is really the right area for this topic but... Does anyone have any photographs of Victorian soldiers onboard ship, and/or milling around on quaysides, etc, embarking and disembarking? Photos of soldiers wearing Foreign Service or Wolseley helmets are what is required.

We want to use any such photos in an upcoming book so any help much appreciated.

Stuart

I think the best I can do are a few original photos of Warwickshire Yeomanry (I think) bobbing around in lifeboats after their transport was torpedoed in WWI (all that going on & a matelot still finds time to take a few happy snaps......).

They're not exactly embarking or disembarking, but if WWI is of any use then I'll try to find them I'll check to see if any of them are wearing helmets,

Bonsoir Stuart,

No sure that's the kind of view you're after, but here are CROCODILE and SERAPIS crossing the Suez Canal.

They both were "Her Majesty's Indian Troopship", and mainly served (from late 1860s to early 1890s) to convey troops to/from India.

"SERAPIS" is of Kipling fame.

TroopshipCrocodile.jpg

TroopshipSerapis.jpg

Cheers,

Jerome

J?r?me,

the author wants to use the photos of the Crocodile and Serapis in his book. Is this possible? If so what attribution would you require eg. Photo courtesy J?r?me Discours.

He also asks 'Other ships of note are; the "Egypt", "Jumna", and all ending in "Castle", like the "Braemar Castle".' Do you have any of these?

Thanks,

Stuart

PS. Everybody please keep the photos coming

Edited by Stuart Bates

Post away Tony! BTW to what unit does the soldier in your avatar belong?

Stuart

Here we have my great great uncle Bill of the 24th Queen's or 22nd Bermondsey Territorials, The Queen's (he served in both). If he's wearing a QSA, it's not quite Victorian.

Tony

Rifle Brigade, the Andaman Islands shortly after disembarkation. Just heard from home - they landed at Port Blair.

Not quite the headgear you're after, but taken pre 1900, 24th Btln. The Queen's.

Edited by Tony

J?r?me,

the author wants to use the photos of the Crocodile and Serapis in his book. Is this possible? If so what attribution would you require eg. Photo courtesy J?r?me Discours.

He also asks 'Other ships of note are; the "Egypt", "Jumna", and all ending in "Castle", like the "Braemar Castle".' Do you have any of these?

Thanks,

Stuart

PS. Everybody please keep the photos coming

Bonjour Stuart,

With pleasure !

Sadly I don't have the other ships ; at times I considered getting photos of the Jumna, Malabar and Euphrates - but as they all were sister ships to the Crocodile and Serapis, the photos - well they look much the same so I didn't fo after them.

Two points of note :

* What kind of resolution do you want the photos ?

Are you interested in wide shots or close ups ?

* Thanks for the attribution - though... I guess Jerome Discours will be much puzzled !

Ha I'm still grinning :P from that one, I'll let him know he's now officially my Cyber-Evil Twin !

Jerome D., a very nice fellow btw, specializes in the French Army - he's got a wonderful website :

www.military-photos.com

I -a very nice fellow myself, only bigger- have more international tastes.

Oh, and a different name too...

Cheers, :cheers:

Jerome L.

PS: great photos Tony !

Edited by Djedj

Hi Jerome,

thanks very much for that and I've asked the author to respond directly as he has joined the forum.

Two Jeromes now that is a little confusing! I did visit http://www.military-photos.com/ which is where I got Discours from. I wasn't sure about it until I found a reference to a Gilbert Discours. My French is too rusty and Discours seemed too much like the English word discourse! But it was capitalized.

Let me know what attribution you want, via a PM if you prefer.

Thanks again,

Stuart