News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

German fuze,but who was it made for and when?

Hello,

I picked up this fuze last week.

The only info I have on it at the moment is that it was probably manufactured prior to the Great war,

and that it is a Krupp made fuze,but,who was it made for?

It is made from brass and aluminium,and from what I can gather it is unusual to find an example where the aluminium

hasn't corroded away.

Can anyone recognize the script,is it Arabic?

There is also some writing stamped onto the top of the fuze,but my camera won't let me take a decent shot!

All help appreciated.

Kind regards,

Andy

Edited by AndyD

Hello Andy:

A nice fuse that you have! Indeed the markings around the base are numbers in Arabic. These were to dial in the proper timing for the fuse. Perhaps this is Ottoman, but with Aluminium used for construction, I would assume that it is much later (perhaps WWII-era).

It is my opinion that aluminium was too valuble to use for shell fuses during WWI. At the time it was considered rather expensive and uncommon and would have been used for aircraft parts, not for fuses.

This is not my area of expertise though, so I will have you rely on the opionion of others regarding the maker and exact era of manufacture.

Best regards,

"SPM"

Edited by Schie?platzmeister

Hello again Andy:

So there we have it, a Krupp made 1898/09 S22? made for Ottoman Turkish forces. A very nice item! My supposition was totally incorrect regarding aluminium usage. I stand corrected! I learn something new each day.

Congratulations regarding your acquisition!

Best regards,

"SPM"

Edited by Schie?platzmeister

Just wondering if it is this fuze.

On the picture it shows graduations up to 22,on my example (although I can't translate the numbers!),it seems to go past 22.

Any thoughts?

Kind regards,

Andy

It's a shrapnel fuse, with that timing-ring. Shrapnel was designed to burst in the air, and the timing-ring was used to set the delay so that the shell would burst over the target.

Mind you, if looks very much like Tony's illustration of the - Lg. Zdr. S/22. That fuze was used to initiate a special shell containing a slow-burning, illuminating flare which came down slowly via a parachute.

Tom

Edited by Tom Morgan

Hello again Andy, Tom, and Tony:

Yes, this fuse is a bit different than the one shown in the illustration. The numbers in Arabic go from 2 to at least 48 (they go up in increments of 2) from what I can make out. Also, the threaded base for this fuse is of larger diameter proportionally compared to the width of the fuse than the one for the fuse shown in the illustration (which is narrower compared to the width of the fuse). Thus, we have a Krupp made Ottoman Army/Navy fuse but what model exactly?

Best regards,

"SPM"