News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Someone said "Hessen"?!

Hmm, this one might be interresting for Rick, as it's the oldest small form "ribbon bar" I've ever seen: Hessen with Austria, Officer, between 1866 and 1871 - from a time, when real medal bars were not yet the rule ... :rolleyes:

It's just made of sewn-together ribbons - no needle, no bar in it, just ribbon. :speechless:

Please excuse me for posting a pic of my very favorite possession that I posted about a year or so ago, but it seems a perfect match to this topic.

Note the Saxon Silver St. Henry medal (Rothe) and the war medal both of 1866 (fighting with Austria against Prussia).... then the Prussian EK2 and the 1870-1871 war medal (fighting with Prussian against France).

This guy must have been quite a fighter ... just point him in the right direction.

I plan on being buried with this medal bar in my pocket!! ha ha :love:

Rod

Edited by Rod

Gentlemen,

I know that I have posted this before; but considering the theme of this thread, I thought that it would be appropriate to show it again. This is how Gefreiter Ludwig Rauch of the 3rd Inf. Regt. got around buying an 1866 and an 1870-1871 bar.

Regards,

Wild Card

• 2 weeks later...

Infected by this little thread I was bidding on ebay successfully on the following sign of friendship between Saxony and Prussia :rolleyes:

I'm very sorry Komtur, but this one is presumably not older than one m o n t h. It has been sold by a so called "Ebay tailer", which means the medals are fine, but the bar is a modern put together. It was from "hagekna41", wasn't it?

:violent::violent::violent::violent::violent::speechless:

This thread shoul be looked more closely by e v e r y one - why isn't it pinned anymore?!

Edited by saschaw

Shame on me - I?m not very astonished. All the little signs: the bad quality of the pictures, the knew looking backside, the other rubbish sold by "hagekna41". But on the other hand 100% positive statements! I?m a beginner on Ebay - it has its own dynamic ...

I have to learn :banger:

I wonder why it make sense to "rebuilt" bars with original medals, when there is no profit? The single medals are worth about 200 Euro (Nimmergut-Katalog) and I paid about 150 Euro for this bar :speechless: . The same stupid poeple destroy original bars :angry::speechless:

I?m afraid I go slowly :off topic:

But thank you Saschaw for your comment :blush:

Edited by Komtur

Guest Rick Research

WE had so many things "pinned" that it was pushing all the new, active topics to Page Two. :blush:

I like that ancient Hessian ribbon bar very much indeed! May I use it for the next edition of The Ribbon bar Article, which will appear on our website here at SOME point-- if I survive typing all the 1914-18 rolls!

Rod's Saxon 4 bar might well be an officer's-- from the style of mounting. It predates 1895--no "25" oakleaves on the EK or battle bars on the 70/71-- and maybe the wearer was dead before then and his next of kin bought those awards supposed to be returned... or just never turned them in. Might be worth finding an early 1890s Saxon Rank List to compare with survivors later, to cross off other receipients with additional awards. I don't know when they started listing retired officers in back, since the earliest one I have is 1909.

Please excuse me for posting a pic of my very favorite possession that I posted about a year or so ago, but it seems a perfect match to this topic.

Note the Saxon Silver St. Henry medal (Rothe) and the war medal both of 1866 (fighting with Austria against Prussia).... then the Prussian EK2 and the 1870-1871 war medal (fighting with Prussian against France).

This guy must have been quite a fighter ... just point him in the right direction.

I plan on being buried with this medal bar in my pocket!! ha ha :love:

Rod

Where do you plan on being buried? :rolleyes:

But thank you Saschaw for your comment :blush:

No news I like to give, but have to ... :(

WE had so many things "pinned" that it was pushing all the new, active topics to Page Two. :blush:

I like that ancient Hessian ribbon bar very much indeed! May I use it for the next edition of The Ribbon bar Article, which will appear on our website here at SOME point-- if I survive typing all the 1914-18 rolls!

Of course you may, it's an honour and a please for me. ;)

Thanks. Wish I'd seen it :(

Another one came up, have a look at it ... :P

Edited by saschaw

Gentlemen,

Going back to Rod?s bar with the Rothe Silver St. Henry medal, I would like to point out that these medals are very impressive - excellent detail, strongly struck (with only 261 awarded, there was little wear on the dies) and high relief.

Shown below is a distant cousin which was awarded for 1866 and 1870.

Best wishes,

Wild Card

Rod's Saxon 4 bar might well be an officer's-- from the style of mounting. It predates 1895--no "25" oakleaves on the EK or battle bars on the 70/71-- and maybe the wearer was dead before then and his next of kin bought those awards supposed to be returned... or just never turned them in. Might be worth finding an early 1890s Saxon Rank List to compare with survivors later, to cross off other receipients with additional awards. I don't know when they started listing retired officers in back, since the earliest one I have is 1909.

Rick..

I think (ohhhhh I am treading on dangerous ground :unsure: ) the St. Henry medals were for non-officers. I think (again :unsure: ) an officer would be awarded the St. Henry knights cross.

I bought the bar from Detlev Niemann who observed the EK is an "awarded" one and in talks with Stephen Previtera he agrees it looks like an awarded Wagner.

The original owner may well have departed this world long before 1895 as it appears he was a real chance taker :o . Certainly a very brave one!!

Sorry to go on and on, but like I said at the start this is my favorite item.

Rod

Edited by Rod

• 1 year later...

I revisted this subject and would like to ask for some clarification.

I stuck my dumb neck :blush: out and questioned Rick's thought that the bar I posted could belong to an officer. I foolishly "challenged" this idea based on the Henry medals being awarded only to non-officers. BUT..... what I was not considering was the holder could be an officer from a state other than Saxony and would not be eligible for the Henry cross that was limited only the the sons of Saxony. I jumped to the conclusion that the guy was from Saxony as he also has the 1866 Saxon war medal.

Could it be the 1866 Saxon war medals were awarded by Saxony to their allies ?? If so, the guy could only get the medal.

Or maybe the guy was a Saxon non-com during the 1866 fracas and became an officer in the 1870-1871 unpleasentness???

Ohhhhh if left to my own understanding, I swear I can rationalize anything!!! ha ha :speechless:

Please straighten me out..... :(

Rod

Edited by Rod

Maybe I missed something, but what is that 2nd piece on Komturs bar?

Regards

David

From right to left (because the bar is sewed as a Frackspange):

Saxony cross for 1866

Saxony long service award for 9 years ("F?r lange u. treue Dienste) 1874-1913

Prussia medal for 1870/71

Saxony medical aid cross for 1870/71

Saxony for civil long service ("F?r Treue in der Arbeit") 1905-1918)

Regards, Komtur.