News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• 1 month later...

Bob,

Thank you so much for posting these images, you have made my month!!!! :jumping:

I first heard of this flag a couple of years ago while investigating the sale of the items removed from the German Embassy in London in 1945. My particular interest were a set of flags with London areas in their corner patches.

By luck the purchaser of some of the flags had recently died & his widow had donated them to the Australian memorial who in turn sent the English ones to the Imperial War Museum London. They felt that the Sidney one may have been altered from one of the UK ones by the purchaser, but of course this may not be the case & as you say it could well be from the German Embassy in Australia.

Rather than post all the images etc I have here I shall post the link to the original thread on the other forum. I apologise for linking to another forum but I do beleive that it is a valid reason, if there are objections then I shall repost them here. http://daggers.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc...73/m/1320097923

Cheers & thanks again Bob!

Don

Hi Don

When I first saw this flag which was at that stage stored at the Memorial there was a story that some others had been

sent to the IWM, but I can't remember exactly what they were now, I saw this one over 20 years ago, as a friend of mine

was working at the War Memorial at the time, and I was able to view some things that were not available to the public, and

this flag was one of them. Later I wrote to the Memorial trying to get a photo of it, and they denied that they had it, and when

I visited the place again for the first time in about 20 years in 2005 I saw this flag on display there, so had to take a photo of

it. I am sure there is a great story behind this and the flags that went to the IWM in London, wish I knew exactly which flags

they were, sadly the Memorial is less than helpful with any further info.

Bob

• 4 years later...

Some more info has recently come to light. As the link to my original thread I posted above has dissolved, here is a link to the thread on another forum with the original pictures & new info.

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95044

Cheers

Don