News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Sweden Patriotic Medal

Nice medal,

it appears to have to be worn around the neck.

As far as I can read it, it's for long and loyal service in the "patriotic movement"??

It's a personal decoration, might be interesting to investigate who the receipment was?

kind regards,

Jacky

This is a medal given out by the society ?Kongliga Patriotiska S?llskapet?/Royal Patriotic Society. It is (yes, still) awarded for long and faithful service (as the text say in Swedish: F?r L?ngvarig Trogen Tj?nst) in different fields. It comes in silver or gold in four classes:

Large

Small

Jeton

Emmery

People who considered someone worthy of the medal nominated him or her to the society. If the society approved the nomination the people could then buy the medal for the nominated. Sometimes the cost for the medal was more than they wanted to pay and there was a problem to solve. :)

If it?s awarded between 1900-1941 I can check who the guy was rather easily. You find the year it was made on the rim. Usually it says SILVER 1923 (or an other year).

/Kim

Large

Small

Jeton

Emmery

Nice to know more about this medal.

Could you please explain what the four grades are??

Silver grade, gold grade both large or small. That are four grades, so small silver, large silver, small gold and large gold.

But what are Jeton and Emmery??

Kind regards,

Jacky

• 3 months later...

Kim,

I have recently obtained one of these silver medals. I was surprised to read in your post that between 1900-1941 you could easily check out the recipient.

The medal I have is named to Frans Emil Karlsson and on the rim is silver 1921. Could you oblige with a look up for this and tell me something about this person. Any information would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Jim Morrison

Easy is relative in this case. There is a data base with the awarded people for those years on line. But there is also a fee for useing it and I'm not paying for it. On the other hand the same data base is free when I use the computer at the library. So I have go there to get the info. If you can wait a few days I can get it as I'm going there anyway.

Searching the data base is free and there is only one F.E. Karlsson who got the medal in 1921. So I guess that's your guy.

/Kim

Here is what I found on Frans Emil Karlsson:

Profession: Worker

Year of Birth: 1871

Application date: 1921-04-18

Awarder: Church council in Lid congregation, [close to the city of Nyk?ping/my comment] estate owner Erik Weinberg, Kappsta [Name of the farm/my comment]

Years of Service: 23

Medal: Small size

Cost of Medal: 15

Worker is most likely a farmhand as most people worked with farming at the time.

The double names at line of awarder are first an official/government level organisation, in your case the Church. The second name, E. Weinberg, is the owner of the farm Frans worked at.

Hope you have some use for it.

/Kim

Hallo Gents :cheers:

A while ago (Christmas) :blush: I obtained via a GMIC member in Sweden the following as a gift,

Its similar to yours, but with a different front design, its has the words SILVER and 1921 stamped on the rim.

Its named to: KARL VIKT. JOHANNESSON.

Kevin in Deva. :cheers:

Edited by Kev in Deva

You were in luck! I could make the trip today and here are the results:

John H. Ekvall

Year of Birth: 1887

Application date: 1939-04-28

Awarder: Church council in Malm? St Petri congregation, Einar Hultman in the name of the board for the City of Malm? tramways, reward for work shop workers and repairmen.

Years of Service: 25

Medal: Small size

Cost of Medal: 19

Here is a link to the museum tramways in Malm?. The text to the left of the pictures are linked to pics of older models: http://www.mss.se/mss6.htm

I have a medal for a driver of the tram in Malm?, awarded in 1921. Strange coincidence. :)

Karl Vikt. Johannesson

Profession: Mask. [Probably short for ?maskinist? machine operator/My comment]

Year of Birth: 1885

Application date: 1921-05-11

Awarder: K.B. [Not sure what that is/My comm.] in ?lvsborg, director M.V. Halling, H?verud, H?frestr?ms joint stock company. [i have corrected some of the names as the data base was wrong. /my comment]

Years of Service: 21

Medal: Jeton

Cost of Medal: 15

The company H?frestr?m is still in buisnes today and still make paper. Here is the company?s page with the factory the way it looks today: http://www.arcticpaper.com/sv/sweden/The-g...roms-AB/Om-oss/

/Kim

It was my pleasure. I enjoy the history of these medals just as much as the estetics of it. I hope I haven't started some trend that will cause a rise in prices for Swedish medals. :rolleyes:

/Kim

• 2 weeks later...
    • 9 years later...