News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Luftwaffe Field Divisions

• 2 months later...
    • 7 months later...

Field Division Hauptmann large size for greatcoat.

Hi Eric,

I have serious concerns over these tabs. I am sorry to say, but they match 100% the styles known as reproductions I have seen on Ebay. The following features are what I am noting:

1. Same poor technique used in embroidering the eagles.

2. The badge cloth is very course and of poor quality

3. Large diminsions of the tab itself.

I am sorry for my suspicions and bad news.

Paul

No need to appologize. If they are bad they are bad. I would like to see the ebay tabs.

I cannot access Ebay, as I am underway on a military vessel for the next few months and Ebay is not allowed to be accessed from government computers. Just search ebay for LW collar tabs and you will see many of them being sold as reproductions in various waffenfarbe. Just look at the details I outlined above and you will see.

I have looked at several on Ebay. Paul, I agree with the material being rough or thin on mine. I'm not so sure on the size since I can't compare to any others. Mine are definately great coat size. So I would like to see some measurments. or side by side comparisons. Regarding the eagles, All the repro's on ebay right now have the circle feet. Mine don't have any circles. I personally like the shape of these better than most. Are you talking about the braid being verticle? Most of my others have the braids flared up and out, some more than others.

I have looked at several on Ebay. Paul, I agree with the material being rough or thin on mine. I'm not so sure on the size since I can't compare to any others. Mine are definately great coat size. So I would like to see some measurments. or side by side comparisons. Regarding the eagles, All the repro's on ebay right now have the circle feet. Mine don't have any circles. I personally like the shape of these better than most. Are you talking about the braid being verticle? Most of my others have the braids flared up and out, some more than others.

Hey Eric,

There are also some with the eagles embroidered in that manner. It is not so much that the sutures are straight up and down... the quality of them is irregular and sloppy. Also there is a variation on the spacing between the eagles. There is no other way to explain it... I have seen identical techniques and materials used on tabs that were sold in bulk as reproduction.

Regards

Paul

• 1 month later...

Here is a shoulder board on a tunic offered at The Collector's Guild. Very nice tunic by the way. I have not dug into my Angolia books yet but on collector's guild he states he believes the red cord may indicate a particular regiment or unit. My first guess would be a FLAK, Artillary, or Anti-Tank unit.

• 1 month later...
    • 1 month later...

Here is a shoulder board on a tunic offered at The Collector's Guild. Very nice tunic by the way. I have not dug into my Angolia books yet but on collector's guild he states he believes the red cord may indicate a particular regiment or unit. My first guess would be a FLAK, Artillary, or Anti-Tank unit.

Sorry for the late response.

The red string indicates that yor man is a Reserveoffzierbewerber der Luftwaffe (a reserve officer candidate of the Luftwaffe). A Berufsoffizierbewerber der Luftwaffe (regular officer candidate of the LW) had a silver cord on the shoulder strap.

Here is a comparison:

Reserveoffzierbewerber der Luftwaffe in the rank of Fahnenjunker

Berufsoffizierbewerber der Luftwaffe, Fahnenjunker-Feldwebel

To indicate a certain Bataillon or Abteilung a colored band was put on the shoulder boards.

The same color system as with the Bayonet knots was used. The colors for Kompanien, Batterien Bataillone and Abteilungen were I. white, II. red, III. yellow and IV. blue.

The old formular to remember the order of the colors was: "Wir Rauchen Gerne Brasil" Weiss, Rot, Gelb, Blau

Examples for I. and II. Bataillon

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_10_2009/post-1062-125583645442.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_10_2009/post-1062-125583669984.jpg

Thanks for the information, Naxos. I did not think that they still had a reserve officer corps by the time the LWFD were established.

Hi Paul,

there is always the possibility that it is indeed a Bataillon indicator - I have seen straps were a string was used instead of a ribbon (Wehrmacht Heer not Luftwaffe).

Example:

According to regulations however, the red string indicates reserve officer candidates in the Luftwaffe.

Hardy :cheers:

Edited by Naxos

Where were you able to find the regulation or mention of it? I looked in the Angolia set and never found it. I found the silver being officer candidate.

I am curious what everyone thinks of Gary9's tabs posted earlier. Original or repro?

from: Handbook on German Military Forces published in March 1945

"Conscripts already serving who are under 28 and decide to apply for the active officer career first are appointed reserve officer applicants (Reserve-Offizier-Bewerber, usually abbreviated R.O.B.), or if they have already attained noncommissioned officer grade, reserve officer candidates (Fahnenjunker der Reserve, usually abbreviated Fhj.d.R.), by their regimental (or independent battalion) commanders. A note is added to the record indicating that they intend to adopt the active officer career. They are accepted for this career upon graduating from the officer candidate course, but they must first attend a reserve officer applicant course if they have not already attained noncommissioned officer grade."

Reseve-Offizier-Bewerber were trained throughout the war.

In Wehrkreis V a Reserveoffizierbewerber Lehrgang (reserve officer training course) was established in the Summer of 1944.

Here is a death card of a ROB kia in November 1943

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_10_2009/post-1062-125602321162.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_10_2009/post-1062-125602322952.jpg