News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• 4 weeks later...

When I picked up this photo of the Edelweiss emblem in wear I had a hunch that it might be "Narvik" related.

After browsing through Georg Hogel's book "U-Boat Emblems of WWII" I came across this quote by RK winner,KL Wilhelm Schulz.

"The crew came from the U-64,sunk at Narvik.When we went to sea with U-64,we had no idea how our emblem ought to look.Through the  Narvik campaign we then came,after the sinking of the boat,into contact with the mountain riflemen,who did a fine job of rescuing us.My people where then given the edelweiss emblem,and wore it on their caps at first.When we then,having returned home via Sweden,were to put U-124 into service,the crew expressed the wish to bear the edelweiss as our tower emblem.This thought was then put into action".

So,i have to think that crewman may have been a member of the U-64 and later maybe the U-124 ?

Note the lack of the eagle and cockade insignia on the cap.

A great photo IMO.

Cheers,Martin.

Edelweiss cap emblem._final.jpg

Edited by Martin W

On ‎06‎.‎08‎.‎2016 at 02:33, Martin W said:

When I picked up this photo of the Edelweiss emblem in wear I had a hunch that it might be "Narvik" related.

After browsing through Georg Hogel's book "U-Boat Emblems of WWII" I came across this quote by RK winner,KL Wilhelm Schulz.

"The crew came from the U-64,sunk at Narvik.When we went to sea with U-64,we had no idea how our emblem ought to look.Through the  Narvik campaign we then came,after the sinking of the boat,into contact with the mountain riflemen,who did a fine job of rescuing us.My people where then given the edelweiss emblem,and wore it on their caps at first.When we then,having returned home via Sweden,were to put U-124 into service,the crew expressed the wish to bear the edelweiss as our tower emblem.This thought was then put into action".

So,i have to think that crewman may have been a member of the U-64 and later maybe the U-124 ?

Note the lack of the eagle and cockade insignia on the cap.

A great photo IMO.

Cheers,Martin.

Edelweiss cap emblem._final.jpg

Hello Martin!

Army mouht Edel Weiss badge was initially linked to Narvik,but later in the war linked also to other devices although those had not served in Narvik Battle.

Best,Morten HP.

The wearing of Edelweiss on their KM-Schiffchen became very popular during the Campaign of Narvik 1940. There are countless of pictures of former Zerstörer-Crewmembers who are wearing the Edelweiss on their Schiffchen (widely known as Gebirgsmarine).

After the Battle of Narvik 1940 the wearing of such Edelweiss' were a common practise for all kinds of different units. Here's an example from my own photo-collection showing some crewmembers from the Minensuchboot M-109 - take note of the crewmember on the extreme right: he's wearing a Edelweiss on his Schiffchen. The lack of any awards points to the conclusion that he's wearing the Edelweiss as belonging to the boat itself; and the wearing has nothing to do that he's an former veteran from the Battle of Narvik 1940.

The lack of any national emblems on the Tellermütze as shown in the photo belonging to Martin perhaps suggest that this particular crewmember continued to serve in the German Mine Sweeping Administration (GMSA) after May 1945.

Mvh. AH  

M104_9.jpg

On ‎09‎.‎05‎.‎2016 at 15:49, nesredep said:

You have one of the Best Narvik Collection in the World.Please post some PHOTOS....

Well, I guess I can't hide so much from you but what I've got is what I've got - I'm pretty pleased with my humble collection so far ;)

Here's a nice grouping belonging to a crewmember who served on the Zerstörer Wolfgang Zenker. What's interesting with this lot is that he was not only awarded the EK II Klasse for participating in the Battle of Narvik 1940, but he got both the Vorläufiges Besitzzeugnis dated 15.5.1940 as well as the more formal Urkunde which is dated 1.5.1940 (!). The VB was awarded at Hundalen while the more formal Urkunde was awarded in Narvik.  

91.jpg

Here is the VB EK II Klasse awarded at Hundalen on 15.5.1940. Really nice original handwritten signature of Fregattenkapitän (Fritz) Berger (RK 4.8.1940).

VB EK II Klasse_Zerstörer Wolfgang Zenker.JPG

And here is the more formal Urkunde EK II Klasse awarded in Narvik on 1.5.1940, and signed by some Oberleutnant.

Urkunde EK II Klasse_Zerstörer Wolfgang Zenker.JPG

Here's a nice grouping belonging to a guy who served on the Zerstörer Erich Giese.
    90.jpg

When Zerstörer Erich Giese sank on 13.4.1940 this guy was wounded and thus received the incredibly super-mega-rare-saltier than salties usw usw Besitzzeugnis black wound badge award document. Any KM-related award-documents regarding wounds given as a result of taking part in the Battle of Narvik 1940 is rarer as the infamous hen's teeths... Again a nice original handwritten signature of Fregattenkapitän (Fritz) Berger (RK 4.8.1940).

BZ Verwundetenabzeichen in Schwarz_Zerstörer Erich Giese.JPG

Here's a nice grouping belonging to a guy who served on the Zerstörer Diether von Roeder. Interesting to see that he was awarded the EK II Klasse, and that his more formal Urkunde EK II Klasse was signed by Fregattenkapitän (Hans-Joachim) Gadow (DKiG 10.10.1943).

LOT.jpg

A very nice grouping belonging to a guy who served on the Zerstörer Anton Schmitt.

Lot Zerstörer Anton Schmitt.jpg

He was also awarded the EK II Klasse, and received both the VB EK II Klasse which was signed by Fregattenkapitän Gadow and dated Narvik 28.6.1940 as well as the more formal Urkunde EK II Klasse which has a facsimile signature by Admiral Boehm and dated Oslo 28.6.1940.

EK II Klasse Zerstörer Anton Schmitt.jpg

Here's one of my centrepieces in my humble collection. A superb complete grouping of awards, documents, 300+ photos, 3 cap tallies (Torpedboot Kondor, Zerstörer Wilhelm Heidkamp and Marinenachrichtenschule), Navy dagger +++ belonging to a man who first served on the Torpedoboot Kondor, then on Zerstörer Wilhelm Heidkamp and participated in the Battle of Narvij 1940 (earning himself the EK II Klasse), then on some S-Boot in the English Channel before he ended up in the Kleinkampfverbände with the rank of Oberleutnant zur See where he earned himself not only the EK I Klasse after participating in blowing up some bridges on the Oder-front in order to stall the Soviet advance but he also was awarded the Bewährungsabzeichen des K. d. K. After the war he was very active in all kinds of veteranorganisations so I've got a lot of paperwork as well from his post-war life.

82.jpg81.jpg

Here's a photo from one of my walls - upper left is a poster showing the heroic last minutes of Zerstörer Georg Thiele as she beaches herself at Sildvik in Rombaksfjorden 13.4.1940, bottom left is a original photo of Zerstörer Georg Thiele and also the Mützenband Zerstörer Georg Thiele. On the bottom right is a poster of Scharnhorst as well as an original Mützenband.

42.jpg

Need a break so please feel free to comment and I'll try my best to answer any questions :)

Mvh. AH

HI all,

Picked up some German patches, flags and badges in an auction lot.

I am not a collector of German material, but found this to be an interesting piece and did some research on it.

Came across this great thread.

Thoughts on it being an original piece will be welcomed.

narvik  re sized.jpg

narvik  resized.jpg

narvik resized.jpg

Edited by dbirming
    grammer

• 2 weeks later...
    On ‎17‎.‎08‎.‎2016 at 17:29, dbirming said:

HI all,

Picked up some German patches, flags and badges in an auction lot.

I am not a collector of German material, but found this to be an interesting piece and did some research on it.

Came across this great thread.

Thoughts on it being an original piece will be welcomed.

narvik  re sized.jpg

narvik  resized.jpg

narvik resized.jpg

Hello!

Sorry for late replay.I`am not an expert buth i think this is a copy!

Best regards,KM-Norway.

• 1 month later...

Rombak,

That is a great grouping.  I haven't seen a print of the painting shown in post 483 before with the destroyer hit heading for the shoreline under fire I assume from a battery. 

Gorgeous groupings. 

I achieved my goal and have successfully completed my complete Zerstörer Mützenband collection with the Anton Schmitt.  This includes the 10 at Narvik (22 total named ship tallies)

So, I thought I would share this rare beauty.

Zerstörer Anton Schmitt close.jpg

zerstörer Anton Schmitt.jpg

On ‎18‎.‎10‎.‎2016 at 06:03, 2dresq said:

Rombak,

That is a great grouping.  I haven't seen a print of the painting shown in post 483 before with the destroyer hit heading for the shoreline under fire I assume from a battery. 

Gorgeous groupings. 

I achieved my goal and have successfully completed my complete Zerstörer Mützenband collection with the Anton Schmitt.  This includes the 10 at Narvik (22 total named ship tallies)

So, I thought I would share this rare beauty.

Zerstörer Anton Schmitt close.jpg

zerstörer Anton Schmitt.jpg

Congrats With Your New rare addition!

• 4 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    • 1 month later...
    • 1 month later...
    • 2 months later...
    • 2 weeks later...

Hello!

Many new Narvik Photos arrived today. Here a picture from Gebirgsjäger Division 139 taken in Hammerfest shows Narvik in wear.

On top of this picture is written the name of he who carries Narvik but can not read the name. Hope someone can help to name the name, thank you very much!

ghjjkkj.thumb.jpg.8c973fa2374ec581af8cb1c4512e639f.jpg

fgghgjhjv.jpg