News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Dutch Medals and Medalbars

I already thought that it was "van suchtelen van de Haare"

Generaal Jonkheer Cornelis Lubertus van Suchtelen van de Haare

Born 25 september 1960

Knight in the Order of the Dutch Lion

Officer in the House Order of Oranje Nassau

Commandeur in the Order of The Oaken Crown from Luxemburg

Honour Cross third casse of Lippe

Honour Cross second classe of Swarzburg

Knight first classe in the Order of Frederik of Wurtenberg

Knight in the Order of The Griffiondor of Mecklenburg

Officer in the Order of Hendrik the Lion of Brunswick

Officers Honour Cross from Schaumburg Lippe

Knight in the Order of the Crown of Italy

Knight second classe in the Order of the Crown of Prussia

Commandeur in the Order of Leopold II from Belgium

Officer of the Legioen of Honour from France

Officer in the Order of the Lion and the Sun of Persia

Knight in the Order of Peter Frederik Lodewijk of Oldenburg

Knight in the Order of the Red Eagle of Prussia

Grandcross in the Order of the Star of Romania

Order of Merit third classe from Waldeck Pyrmont

Knight in the Order of the Wendic Crown of mecklenburg

Knight first classe in the Order of the White Falcon of Saksen Weimar Eisenach

Knight third classe in the Order of the Iron Crown of Austria

He received the above awards al before the age of 80. I think that this is a bar he used at one time. Not his first bar in a set of two. As a servant of the Royal Court he would have placed his House Order in the first bar....

The House order of Orange he received in 1908 the bar dates before then, but not before 1902 I know for certain. Was the House order of Orange officer class a breast badge or a pinback? Thanks

pinback

after the review of the house order, somewhere in the 70's I thought...

there are only 3 grades....

Or you must mean that he received the officers cross of the order of orange nassau, then it might be his bar!

But the house order of orange nassau and the order of orange nassau are two different orders,

the house order is a latin cross with red enamel ?nd a house order! It's fully the souvereign's own order and own decision who he/she wants to award.

The order of orange nassau is the maltese cross which you have seen on both bars before, and white/bleu enamelled. This order is the state-order, thus awarded by the government in name of the queen, just in name of her, not given by her.

Kind regards,

Jacky

Edited by Jacky

Just a quick remark:

the officers class are the 4th class of this order, the 3rd class is the Commander.

And also, I thought that the orders were made for a very very short lifespan in real gold, and they quickly swifted to silver gilt.

The order of Orange nassau is never abolished, it's still the most awarded civil order in the netherlands. However, the regulations were reviewed in 1994 and almost all automatism and double awarding (together with the order of the netherlands lion) had been removed.

But besides this all, very nice bar!!

Kind regards,

Jacky

Thanks for all that info Jacky, now I understand the 5th clas is the knight. A 4th class is the officer and explains why I never see one in solid gold. Appreciate it. Woow the Dutch had many orders and with the Luxemburg connection a bit complicated and Nassau too I may say

First one on the bar right before the Wendish Crown

That's the order of orange nassau, please will you read my post #26.

You have thrown the order of orange nassau and the house order on the same thing.... But they are separate orders!!

Kind regards,

Jacky

and no.. what's wrong withthe 3rd class?

Edited by Jacky

Thanks for all that info Jacky, now I understand the 5th clas is the knight. A 4th class is the officer and explains why I never see one in solid gold. Appreciate it. Woow the Dutch had many orders and with the Luxemburg connection a bit complicated and Nassau too I may say

Well, the dutch only have 3 state orders and 2 house orders:

Militairy order of william

Order of the Netherlands Lion

Order of orange nassau.

House orders of the house of Orange Nassau:

House order of Orange Nassau

Order of the Golden Lion of nassau, in co-grandmastership with the grandduke of Luxemburg

the orders on the first magnifique bar are just german orders except the first one, the order of orange nassau., connected with the prince-consort of Wilhelmina, not the netherlands or nassau.

Kind regards,

Jacky

Edited by Jacky

That's the order of orange nassau, please will you read my post before your post?

You have thrown the order of orange nassau and the house order on the same thing....

Kind regards,

Jacky

and no.. what's wrong with it? Please teach us ;)

Must have posted before your last post so much info that it just jumped ahead of me did not mean to skip :speechless:

Ask and you shall recieve....... Sold gold......

The Waldeck has a rod instead of a ribbon ring that you would normally see on a German made piece. It works makes the bar even. Perhaps a private purchase designed for this bar. The Queen's mother was a Princess from Waldeck so I imagine many Dutch were awarded this order perhps on other Dutch bars this type was issued. I think it is Dutch made, perhaps another member can tell for certain. On the reverse the arms are enamel.

Mark absolutely fantastic, with silver blades what a contrast. I just remembered Henry the Lions did that too with their swords. :jumping::jumping:

Sad thing is... it looks 1000% better in person !!

I didn't know that about the Henry order......

Cheers

Mark

Sad thing is... it looks 1000% better in person !!

I didn't know that about the Henry order......

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark

I just found out about that recently from a fellow collector in this club, just passing the info for others. I think yours is a pre WWl but not totally sure might ask another collector, knows considerably more then I on the subject. Maybe a colonial era example.

Sincerely

Brian

• 2 years later...

I reckon.... So here's my contribution :rolleyes:

for your enjoyment...

Latest acquisition and rather proud of it I must admit :catjava:

lomboktriofront.jpg

lomboktrioback.jpg

Dutch turn of the century colonial trio .. the 19-20 th turn of the century that is... with Lombok Cross (1894), Kruis voor Bijzondere Krijgsverrigtingen (Cross for Important Waractions aka Expedition Cross aka Lead William) with clasp Atjeh 1873-1890 (cross is a type II +-1900) and bronze medal for faithfull service (12 yrs of service, or in this case 6 years in the tropics, which were counted double)

cheers

l4h

Cool!!

The bar was for continual service? I thought there were specific year dates.

Colonial campaigns against the Malay pirates?

Does the long service medal mean he was an officer?

Hi Ulsterman,

Officers had a different type of long-service medal (cross-shaped), so this would be a lower ranking recipients' medals.

The clasps on the Expedition Cross are rather peculiar since the first 5 clasps for Atjeh (out of the 33 possible clasps there are 10 for Atjeh) each time replaced the earlier one and the claps was antedated to the first year of the war 1873. Meaning: the soldier that held the clasp Atjeh 1873-1874 (the very first Atjeh clasp) and also qualified for the second one: Atjeh 1873-1876 (for service between 27 april 1874- 31 december 1876) would have to wear either the first or the second clasp. You should never see more then one Atjeh clasp where the first 5 clasps are concerned. It wasn't untill the 6 th clasp 1896-1900 they stopped the antedating and an individual could wear more then two Atjeh clasps on the ribbon.

In this case our man definitely was involved in Atjeh in the period January 1st 1889 - December 31st 1890. He might have been involved before as well, but there's no proof.

Well, it was rather more then a campaign against Malay Pirates. It started of like that (and bears quite a ressemblance to Somalia anno 2009) in an area where the local sultan couldn't control his subordinates. But it evolved into a regular guerrilla independance war which lasted for 40 years up untill 1914! The area was never completely at rest, and 25 years later tensions were already high again but the Japanese invasion prevented a new full-scale outbreak of rebellion. When the Japanese left however the Dutch never regained control of Aceh (or Achin as it was referred to as well in English sources) and the area was one of the first to proclaim its' independence in 45. It was absorbed into Indonesia but even the Indonesian government hand a handfull to keep the local separatist rebels who want to proclaim an independent muslim country at bay. It wasn't untill about 10 years ago that things seemingly have calmed down.

• 4 months later...

Hi Steven

I reckon' the one in the middle is the one you mean?

dsc02043e.jpg

This is indeed the so-called "Atjeh medal" (often referred to as the kraton-medal as well) It was instituted on May 12th 1874, for participation in the first and/or second Atjeh expedition between 05 april 1873 - 26 april 1874. This campaign medal was instituted prior to the first Atjeh clasp for the expedition cross but the recipients were also granted the expedition cross with the clasp Atjeh 1873-1874 (as seen in the picture above)

Take note: this one has most of the gild rubbed off, the medal actually should be gilded with a shiny goldlike finish.

There might be even more # sizes, none of which have a special meaning other then preference of the wearer, different manufacturer or such.

No nominal rolls are known off. If there are such things they probably have become cockroach food somewhere in a Jakarta attic or basement... There must be parts of KNIl (colonial Dutch army) archives left stored somewhere in Indonesia. Perhaps someday something might turn up, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

cheers

l4h

Ps: noticed this actually was your first post.. so welcome!

• 2 weeks later...
    • 1 month later...
    • 2 weeks later...

Hello, here is the Dutch campaign medal and the NATO medal you receive for a tour in Uruzgan, Afghanistan.

The left one is called: Herinneringsmedaille Vredes Operaties and the one on the right is the NATO medal for Non Article 5 operations.

Both have the clasp ISAF as issued.

regards

Herman

Edited by Herman

• 3 weeks later...