News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of the National Hero

• Replies 83
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this the highest award for Yugoslavia?

Reason I'm asking is that there's one (documented) for auction on Hermann Historica. A very nice one.

Bob

Dear Bob,

it depends on the point of view ...

Officially the "Hero" has been THE top-decoration and Marshal Tito wore his 3 "Heros" always above the other orders or minis.

In fact, the "Order of Freedom" has been the most supreme award in Yugoslavia - only 7 awarded. It's rather similar to the Soviet case of HSU vs. Order of Victory ;) .

I his late days Marshal Tito wore the "Order of Freedom" always in full decoration (hughe amount of carats of finest rubys!) at his right chest and the rest of his orders as minis at the left chest, with the 3 "Hero"-minis at the top.

So, from a phaleristic viewpoint, I will put the "Freedom" at the top of the YU-hierachy, as I would put the "Victory" at the top of the Soviet-hierarchy.

Best regards :beer:

Christian

Edited by Christian Zulus

Officially the Order of National hero was the first in the Yugoslav order of precedence until 1955 when it was placed in 3rd place after the Order of the Yugoslav Grand Star (1st) and the Order of Freedom (2nd)

Ivan

Officially the Order of National hero was the first in the Yugoslav order of precedence until 1955 when it was placed in 3rd place after the Order of the Yugoslav Grand Star (1st) and the Order of Freedom (2nd)

Ivan

Dear Ivan,

many thanks for your expertise - I didn't know, that there had been a change in the order of precedence in 1955 :blush: .

Well, the starting price at Herrmann's with EUR 1.850,- (incl. 23% premium and 2,9% creditcard fee, but excl. shipping & insurance!) is rather heavy for a gilded tombac-version, BUT it comes with that great document (with seal!) AND it had been awarded to a general of the JNA.

Gentlemen, that's about USD 2.500,- starting price ...

Christian

• 2 weeks later...

For who reads Serbian, take a look at page 17:

http://zagorac.slobodnajugoslavija.org/Knj...odni_heroji.pdf

Ivan is right, and I would also say that many of these certificates are original, but in blank (unissued). Unfortunatelly the sellers, or whoever for them, use to add the name of an awarded person to rise their price. This is a rare piece, but that goes also for less expensive medals.

From what I know Ohrimenko was pronounced a National Hero of Yugoslavia on the 21st of June in 1945, so that atleast seems fake to me.....

Ivan

Dear Ivan,

that's not the main problem, I think ;) .

Konteradmiral Ohrimenko had been pronounced a National Hero of Yugoslavia at the 21st of june 1945, the documents at the chancellary were written at the 30th of june 1945 and the order's booklet had been filled out at the 1st of september 1947 - strange, but still possible :unsure: .

BUT he should have got a pure & massive gold medal and not a tombac one :angry: .

Ohrimenko is a rather prominent figure and so the price of EUR 3.000,- seems also a bit to low :P .

My opinion: The "gentlemen" took an unissued Hero-Medal (tombac!) + blank documents and put in the name of comrade Ohrimenko :mad: .

The real market price of that forged set should be around EUR 300,- and not EUR 3.000,- :cheeky: .

Christian

Edited by Christian Zulus

Dear Filip,

many thanks for that great link :cheers: .

Christian

For who reads Serbian, take a look at page 17:

http://zagorac.slobodnajugoslavija.org/Knj...odni_heroji.pdf

Ivan is right, and I would also say that many of these certificates are original, but in blank (unissued). Unfortunatelly the sellers, or whoever for them, use to add the name of an awarded person to rise their price. This is a rare piece, but that goes also for less expensive medals.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Sasa,

wellcome to the YU-section at GMIC :cheers: .

Many thanks for your expertise - after 1955, as Ivan already mentioned, the National Hero had been ranked #3 behind Grand Star & Freedom.

Christian

BTW: I assume, that the "Order of Freedom" had been the most outstanding & prestigious decoration in communist Yugoslavia. Only 7 had been confered + 2 under Milosevic for the 1999-war.

The highest award in Yugoslavia was Order of the great star of Yugoslavia (Orden Jugoslovenske velike zvezde).

• 2 months later...

Hi Luka,

there is one offer in ebay. But as far I know this offer exist in ebay for very long time.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ordensheft-Held-Jugosl...1QQcmdZViewItem

Basis are probably the prices which you know from thread 'Yugoslavian Awards - Types - Variations - Prices'.

To be more realistic you will have to add a small markup to this prices.

Unfortunately I have no further Information.

best regards

wlodzimierz

<h1 class="itemTitle">Luka you can type this 'Ordensheft Held Jugoslawien UDSSR f.Orden Held' and you will find it. The seller has following ID '361460660880'.</h1>

Unfortunatly this order is not in my collection. :(

Luka one question. I posted today documents about Mr. Dumitru Popa. There is a sentence

'clan Centralnog Komitata Rumunska komunisticka partija, nacelnik odaljanja u CK RKP' what does it exactly mean?

Member of Central Comittee of Romanian Comunist Party, leader of ?? at CKRKP.

best regards :cheers:

wlodzimierz

Can any one tell me what is current market price for Order of National Hero(type 2 tombak)?

Dear Luka,

we already have a thread dealing with the Order of National Hero here at GMIC-YU: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=17666 .

Well, as you can see at the postings, there are many fakes around, but a tombac-one should still be obtainable for less than EUR 1.000,- , if one comes at the market.

Christian

• 1 month later...

Hero of Yugoslavia, with neck ribbon awarded to Cedo Kapor. No official issue docs but with Kapor?s 1971 Membership Card and Free Transport Pass for ?Veterans of the Spanish Civil War? and photo of his unit comrade, and fellow Hero of Yugoslavia recipient Jovo Radovanovich-Jovas.