News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers.

I did'nt really know what to call the thread, I just came across this photo & scanned it because it's a little unusual.

It shows "EARP", I think that's the spelling - "Something or other Anti Riot Projector"?

It appeared in one pig that I know of but presumably more in the early 70's in Derry & was I think short lived.

The idea was that you twisted & locked 4 x verey pistols into those barrel extensions, with the silver coloured horizontal rod through their trigger guards, & when you yanked the rod, the 4 x baton rounds were blatted off at slightly different angles.

Very handy for jumping the NAAFI queue.

The member of the Womens Royal Army Corps on the left of the photo is a being transported from Strabane to Ebrington Barracks, Derry, the vehicle is used by 6 Platoon, X Company, 1 RRF, & the driver is the man shown in this thread, about 5 years alter.

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=15809

Edited by leigh kitchen

• Replies 188
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leigh,

You an old "fuzzy wuzzy" then? Went back to that previous link with the Pioneer Sgt, a rare sight these days. One thing though since when has St.Georges Day been on the 22nd April, surely its the 23rd April

The fur cap grenade worn by the Band & Pnr Sgt was eventally altered from those rough cast badges(which were an abortion) to one which reflected the regimental cap badge, both of which are now seen in bi-metal with a permanent polished finish, which do look very nice and the cap badges are a lot more robust than the anodised one.

Ever read the booklet "Four Months in Winter" the story of 2RRF during their N.Ireland tour in 1972? Maybe a modern item in terms of collecting and well overlooked, but not easy to come by and I think I've only ever seen a few copies all the time I've been collecting. As the Northumberland Fusiliers take up the bulk of my collection, it naturally extended into the RRF, unlike other Fusilier collectors who finish in 1968. As a result I have managed to collect a full run of "The Fusilier" the RRF Regimental Journal from 1968 to the present and still get it sent twice a year.

Last weekend I was at the RNF Other Ranks Club dinner, which on this occassion was a commemoration of the nine Northumberlands & three Argylls killed on the 20th June 1967 during an Ambush in the Crater District of Aden. What an emotional opening - Northumbrian piper playing a lament, then an Argyll Bn,RoyaL Regt of Scotland piper playing the "Barren Rocks of Aden". As their names were read out a Quarter Guard furnished by the 68th Foot Re-enactment Group "reversed arms". Very difficult to hold back the tears.

Was sat next to Sgt Major Heweson, 1RNF/1RRF and took up old Ed Forrest 1RNF/1RRF and had a really good evening. Heweson had some cracking stories to tell from his time with 1RNF and the first N.Ireland tours with 1RRF. thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Graham.

Edited by Graham Stewart

• 2 weeks later...

Leigh,

You an old "fuzzy wuzzy" then? Went back to that previous link with the Pioneer Sgt, a rare sight these days. One thing though since when has St.Georges Day been on the 22nd April, surely its the 23rd April

The fur cap grenade worn by the Band & Pnr Sgt was eventally altered from those rough cast badges(which were an abortion) to one which reflected the regimental cap badge, both of which are now seen in bi-metal with a permanent polished finish, which do look very nice and the cap badges are a lot more robust than the anodised one.

Ever read the booklet "Four Months in Winter" the story of 2RRF during their N.Ireland tour in 1972? Maybe a modern item in terms of collecting and well overlooked, but not easy to come by and I think I've only ever seen a few copies all the time I've been collecting. As the Northumberland Fusiliers take up the bulk of my collection, it naturally extended into the RRF, unlike other Fusilier collectors who finish in 1968. As a result I have managed to collect a full run of "The Fusilier" the RRF Regimental Journal from 1968 to the present and still get it sent twice a year.

Last weekend I was at the RNF Other Ranks Club dinner, which on this occassion was a commemoration of the nine Northumberlands & three Argylls killed on the 20th June 1967 during an Ambush in the Crater District of Aden. What an emotional opening - Northumbrian piper playing a lament, then an Argyll Bn,RoyaL Regt of Scotland piper playing the "Barren Rocks of Aden". As their names were read out a Quarter Guard furnished by the 68th Foot Re-enactment Group "reversed arms". Very difficult to hold back the tears.

Was sat next to Sgt Major Heweson, 1RNF/1RRF and took up old Ed Forrest 1RNF/1RRF and had a really good evening. Heweson had some cracking stories to tell from his time with 1RNF and the first N.Ireland tours with 1RRF. thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Graham.

I was 1RRF for a few years during the 70's - & still got Geordies Day mixed up with Minden Day by the look of it.......

The rough cast fur cap grenades were introduced about January 1980 - I was floating around RHQ at the Tower when they were delivered to the PRI - Col. Connolly, although I ca'nt remember which of the twins he was, the 1st Bns or the 3rd Bns. The PRI commissioned the things from Pakistan, they were sturdier than the die-struck versions which had a tendency to snap at the "neck". Also delivered were hackles in the colours of the Warwick Fus, RF & LF, for the old comrades, & gilt & silver metal versions of the cap badge for wear by officers.

The cap badge shaped fur cap badge in gilt & silver coloured metal was known(in the 70's) within the 1st Battalion & to dealers as "the Drum Majors Badge" - but I believe it was the officers version of the fur cap grenade which was only ever seen worn by the Drummy because you never saw an officer in Full Dress.

I picked up "Four Months in Winter" in the 70's, & rediscovered it in the garage a few weeks ago.

We'll have to do a thread on the events of 20/6/67 closer to the date.

Edited by leigh kitchen

Leigh,

Sorry for late reply, but have been working in Slovakia for the past week and a half with the Slovak Air Force. Never ever thought I'd be working alongside Mig-29's, Hind's, Hip's, Antonovs and Ilushins, as they were all on the other side when I was in.

Going back to the RRF I do have an extensive collection of badges to them, although it's hard to believe as collectors generally dismiss modern regiments. Probably the most unusual being the "Pipers plaid broach", as worn by the 1st Bn's Northumbrian Piper, which is novel within English regiments. It's actually one of those Pakistani badges but the lugs were removed and the back filled with resin and a blank medal bar inserted into the resin, which enables it to be pinned to the Shepherds tartan plaid of the piper.

Remember the huge bi-metal RRF grenade badge? Well I did eventually find an illustration of it being worn in the fur cap prior to the reintroduction of a proper fur cap grenade, which were gash. The really large RRF grenade with an additional black cloth backing was actually worn on the Pioneers apron, but again in time a fur cap grenade was introduced to replace it.

The one that I haven't got is the cloth shoulder title which was worn in Cyprus on the UN Brassard, which was a plain white on red worsted title and all that it said was "FUSILIERS". Did you ever come across this on your travels?

Graham.

Edited by Graham Stewart

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, I know what you mean about using the aircraft - I found it strange to be travelling in Antonovs & Mi8's a few years ago - brought to mind the identification training films & slides of years ago.

I wore the white on red "FUSILIERS" title in ESBA in 1978, they were issued on a DPM camo brassard, & I think they were also on the tan brassards to wear with No. 2 shirts.

17/21 Lancers on attachment to make up numbers (I think that they had just passed basic training & were given the opportunity to play at infantrymen in the sun prior to joining there regiment) wore the brassards but removed the FUSILIER title & replaced it with their "motto" in silver anod. or, I think was the case, chromeed metal, & they also wore the hackle with their motto in the beret.

I transferred some FUSILIER titles to custom made DPM pen holder type brassards for wear on the very few occassions uniform was worn when I was attached to the Int Corps in NI, 78-79.

Leigh,

Only have the one black plastic RRF cap badge, which I picked up at the Drill Hall in Newcastle donkies years ago. It's on my RRF board at the moment, but if I remember correctly it had a pair of soft tinplate tabs on the back for bending over.

These "FUSILIERS" titles were they actually manufactured or were they cut down from other cloth titles?

I do have the larger cloth white on red worsted "Royal Regt of Fusiliers" shoulder title, but no-one seems to be able to tell me if it was ever worn. The regiment didn't make its appearance until St.Georges Day 1968 and by that time BD had long been replaced by No.2 Dress.

Again I have the white on red worsted "R.R.F. over Cadets" shoulder title, but these too remain a mystery as to when or if they were ever worn. I bought both of these titles in the early 1980's from a surplus dealer and have never seen them since.

Any ideas would be welcome as even HQ in the Tower of London doesn't seem to have a clue.

Graham.

PS

Also have Ed Forrest's(1 RNF/1 RRF) original No.2 Dress uniform, which was also made from the earlier rough serge rather than the later smoother pattern, which is also of a darker shade.

The short white on red "FUSILIER" titles were manufactured as such, not cut downs as far as I'm aware - the only cloth titles to the regiment I've seen were in a book somebody showed me a little while ago - Simon Winchesters book on RRF, (the 1970s -80s onwards mainly feature the 2nd Bn, looks like they're the guys who took the effort to provide him with anecdotes & photos) but some photos show interesting insignia - including the black on drab "FIRST FUSILIERS" title, worn post disbandment of the 3rd Bn.

Edited by leigh kitchen
    punctuation all over the shop

• 3 months later...

Hi lads, I've just looked into my personal insignia box and found my NI black plastic badge. It has a 5 cm brass bar with the ends drilled 4mm in and bent to form lugs. I do remember the soft tinplate pointy tab ones though. (I'll take some pics and post them but it takes a while.) I was one of those 1RRF guys who passed P Coy in 1989 when Sigs Pl & Recce put people through. I'm still looking for a DZ flash if anyones got one. But a picture will do for now... Please?

I've got a couple of DZ patches somewhere, the original type on which the colours ran when wet & the later type on which they did'nt.

I'm sure they crop up on dealers sites - Kellys I think has them

I've got a few black plastics beret badges - one with a black plastic washer which fits over a plastic nub on the back of the badge, one with a thin silver metal strip glued to the back (to pierce the cloth & fold back, a bit like the WWII plastic economies) & the type with the brass bar formimg lugs.

The "FUSILIERS" red on white embroidered titles of 1978 were'nt popular on the basis that everyone assumed that they were cadet unit insignia - perhaps they were actually commissioned for the Cyprus tour with the UN?

• 2 months later...

Some of my RRF cloth stuff coming your way for viewing. "Royal Regt of Fusiliers" cloth shoulder title - origin unknown, but first found around 1980.

Graham.

PS

Please excuse some of the colouring, this is due to the scanner not showing them clearly.

Edited by Graham Stewart

The first pattern "ran" & were replaced with a different fabric

I don't know what the problem with "DZ" as a term would be, as I recall these were ntroduced a t the time a para element was introduced into line infantry battalions so there was a "Drop" element to the insignia.

Here's one of the 1 RRF 1978 Cyprus UN Tour DPM brassards:

Interesting to see the variation on St Oswald's Shield - I have the versions with differing number of red / yellow stripes, but have'nt seen them "staggered like that.

The "First Fusilier" titles were introduced at the time of the disbandment of the 3rd Bn were'nt they? Some kind of statement about being a "new" 1st Bn?

Close up of the title on the DPM brasseard:

Edited by leigh kitchen