News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers.

• Replies 188
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Graham, should this not rightfully be refering to the change of badges from regimental patterns to that of the Fusilier Brigade?

The photo loooks that "old" (in line more with the date given), & of course the formation of RRF from the Fusilier Bde only required the change over of hackles as the badge & collar dogs were already those that would continue in wear by the new regiment - looks like these men are wearing the regimental patern RF & RNF collar dogs.

Graham, ref post 102.

Due to serving with most on it, this is definately 1st Bn at SBA Episkopi Garrison sometime between 1986-88. This easily explains The Para's where also at SBA Dekhilia at that time either before 2RRF or just after.

Due to the mix up of Companies within the group most likely a water / hygiene course as I dont think some of the persons on it where ever Signals or JNCO's so it probably rules out JNCO's Cadre or B2 Sigs, nevermind the PARA members who probably wouldn't attend a skills course run by percieved mere lesser mortals!.

Graham, should this not rightfully be refering to the change of badges from regimental patterns to that of the Fusilier Brigade?

The photo loooks that "old" (in line more with the date given), & of course the formation of RRF from the Fusilier Bde only required the change over of hackles as the badge & collar dogs were already those that would continue in wear by the new regiment - looks like these men are wearing the regimental patern RF & RNF collar dogs.

Too right. Obviously the gentleman who wrote the original seemd to have had touch of dementia and should have referred to the Fusiliers Brigade and not the RRF. I should have put it in earlier with a comment, but overlooked it in all that I had to browse and attach. Still it's a very good photo and hopefully worthy of inclusion.

Edited by Graham Stewart

Graham, ref post 102.

Due to serving with most on it, this is definately 1st Bn at SBA Episkopi Garrison sometime between 1986-88. This easily explains The Para's where also at SBA Dekhilia at that time either before 2RRF or just after.

Due to the mix up of Companies within the group most likely a water / hygiene course as I dont think some of the persons on it where ever Signals or JNCO's so it probably rules out JNCO's Cadre or B2 Sigs, nevermind the PARA members who probably wouldn't attend a skills course run by percieved mere lesser mortals!.

Thanks for that information TI. It's typical that these group photo's never have any information on them for collectors/researchers and not being an ex-fuzzy wuzzy I had't a clue which battalion they were never mind who. So if any names come to mind please repost and add.

Excellent items & images as always Graham.

Have you got one of these - shown here in an adulterated form:

About 12" tall, hand carved from wood, originally painted in colours with the flames & ball of the grenade in yellow, this one has been repainted gold. I don't know their origins, but these were diplayed around parade squares etc in Gibralter in 1973, I can't remember if they were in use in Londonderry when the Bn moved there, but a pair were displayed on escutcheons on the black painted gates of Oakington Barracks when they went there in 1975. Each badge or plaque was slightly different, due to being hand carved.

Edited by leigh kitchen
    Updated with id of item.

Certainly haven't and not really sure what it's made of, but I have seen badges made with bread and sweets and it's roughness seems to indicate something unusual.

When I do get the time I'll try and add some of the more unusual RRF badges.

Edited by Graham Stewart

I know all the faces but some of the names escape my depleting cells! Due to the recognition of 3 & 6 front row I'm also certain its an RRU (Regular Radio Users) Cadre. Heres the ones I can remember (ignoring RANKS and the 2 PARA guys).

looking L-R Top row: 1. ? 2. Hodgson. 3. ? 4.Baz Light. 5. ?

Middle row: 1. Whitelock. 2. 'Tim' Simpson 3. ? 4. Halliwell. 5. Billy Newby. 6. ?

Front row: 1. Reggie Ebanks. 2. ? 3. Schofield 4. Signals Officer ? 5. ? 6. Hawkins 7. ?

Edited by tynesideirish

The big "badge" - about 12" tall, hand carved from wood, originally painted in colours with the flames & ball of the grenade in yellow, this one has been repainted gold. I don't know their origins, but these were diplayed around parade squares etc in Gibralter in 1973, I can't remember if they were in use in Londonderry when the Bn moved there, but a pair were displayed on escutcheons on the black painted gates of Oakington Barracks when they went there in 1975. Each badge or plaque was slightly different, due to being hand carved.