News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

AUSTRIAN Orders to Francis P.C.L.A. Duke of Teck (1837-1900) ?

lilo

Dear All,

I?m new on this forum and have much enjoied the reading of some post in this section.

I noted that there are very compentent persons between you and for this I decided to ask your help about a re-search project that regards the AUSTRIAN Orders given to a British officer:

H.R.H. Major-General Francis Paul Charles Louis Alexander Duke of Teck (1837-1900)

As a starting point you can see a biography of Him at : http://www.regiments.org/biography/royals/1837fraT.htm

Before to start the discussion I would make clear Who exactly is the person I?m searching for, and for do this we must take in mind 2 fundamental things to avoid any confusion :

1) the EXACT name, that is : ?Francis (or Franz) Paul Charles Louis?,

2) His birth/death dates : (1837-1900).

What I have precised above is very important to avoid confusion between a very numerous quantity of male members of the same family that lived on the same period using the same title : ?Duke of Teck? and that had a series of first names that changed very little between them. This could cause confusion on a research work.

The Duke of Teck I?m searching is normally referred as Francis (or ?Franz? in German/Austrian sources) 1837-1900; He was born in Vienna and embarked upon a career in the Austrian army as following :

-1849-1853 Imperial Academy of Engineers, Vienna;

-1864 Lieutenant, 1st Regiment of Lancers;

-1856 Lieutenant, Guard Squadron;

-1856 Captain, 7th Regiment of Hussars;

-1859 Orderly Officer to Field Marshal Count von Wimpffen, Italy;

- served in Franco-Italian campaign (rcvd: Gold Medal for the Battle of Solferino, Bronze War Medal);

-1866 He retired from the Austrian army.

From his biography, of which I attached the link at the starting of this thread, He appears to have received the following AUSTRIAN Orders:

1. Order of Franz Joseph, Grand Cross (1904)

2. Order of the Iron Crown, Knight of the 1st class (1908)

As I have shown in the barcketts above, the awarding dates of these 2 Orders are 1904 and 1908. At this point is evident that there is some problem : How Francis the Duke of Teck could have received the 2 orders if He was dead in 1900 ???

At this point I made 2 hypotheses :

-He didn?t received at all the 2 Orders, then what was written in the web site in question was wrong.

or

-He did received these 2 Austrian Orders but in different dates of those indicated in the website in question (surely before his Death in 1900).

My questions :

1) Can someone confirm if He was awarded the 2 Austrian Orders or not ?

2) If yes when (is it sufficient the year or award) ?

Hoping that some of you have the possibility (and the patience) to help me

Best Reagrds

Lilo