News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Honorary Freeman of the MPR

Only awarded once, to Leonid Brezhnev on 26 November 1974, only two badges were ever made. The story is that they were made up on very short notice at the mint and that the quality was very low. It is believed that both badges were awarded to Brezhnev and that no specimen was retained in Mongolia. It was never intended to be any more than a "one off" award. Brezhnev was in town for the 50th annoiversary celebtarions, he needed to be given something unusual and unique, and this was it.

Wherever Brezhnev's awards are (still with his family?), there also resides the only specimens ever made.

For completeness, the image from Battushig's book.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Now added to my site (not the image of course... hope one turns up one day!).

Ed - didn't you say you know Battushig? Next time you speak, could you ask him if he'd be kind enough to let me use this picture?

• 6 months later...