News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A Lancaster in Lincolnshire

Took these photos yesterday near Spilsby, Lincolnshire, UK. This is owned by a local farmer who restored it to its original state. ?6.50 gets you close to the aircraft and ?165 (more than US$320) gets you a ride inside up and down a grassy field for no more than 10 minutes..... :speechless1:

I must say that the noise of those 4 engines being rev'd up was something not to be missed. I just cannot imagine what it must have been like to hear hundreds of these engines getting ready to take off...

Hallo Gents, :cheers:

I visited the particular place in question a number of years ago, the plane is owned by two brothers (Chicken Farmers), the plane in question was built cirrca late 1945 - 46, missed serving in the war by a whisker, served with the Australians or French in the Pacific, had a large belly radar pod, was also used as a base mascot at the gates of RAF Scampton near Lincolnshire.

The brothers obtained it as a memorial to their brother who was shot down and killed over Germany in WW2, their farm was used as an airfield in WW2 hence the runway, , hanger, all the buildings are period originals, in fact many of the staff (male & female) who worked there were ex members of the RAF.

While the plane is functionable, the problem is they dont have a certificate of airworthiness, which would entail the plane being broken down and x-rayed to obtain, the cost being prohibitive to the brothers.

In the hanger is also a nice Spitfire that was dug out of the ground after crashing, its been straightened so has you can tell what it is but originaly on impact was a compressed lump, I believe the remains of the pilot were still in it as well.

Well worth a visit, and not so exspensive as all the money obtained from the public is used to keep this museum up and running, sorry I cant post any pictures from my visit I believe they are all in storage in Ireland :(

Kevin in Deva

Hi Gentlemen, TerryG thanks for the link, most interesting place. I normally like to get to place like Duxford, Hendon, Cosford etc a couple of times a year, didn't know ths place existed. Must put it on my list. I agree the taxi ride is a bit pricey, but there again, you have to pay for those four Merlins, gobbling juice up :speechless1:

regards

Alex

Hi Gentlemen, TerryG thanks for the link, most interesting place. I normally like to get to place like Duxford, Hendon, Cosford etc a couple of times a year, didn't know ths place existed. Must put it on my list. I agree the taxi ride is a bit pricey, but there again, you have to pay for those four Merlins, gobbling juice up :speechless1:

regards Alex

Hallo Alex, :beer:

From what I gather this small private museum, recieves no aid or sponsorship from the uk government or lottery funds, which I think is a shame when so much public money has been wasted over the years.

Many people do not realise that Lincolnshire was called "Bomber County" in WW2 because of the many airfields constructed there due to the flat terrain.

There also used to be a big carboot sale at the weekend at Hemswell Cliff, Gainsbourough, as well as a small antigue shop as well located in the old Guard.room on another old RAF Airfield, strangely enough the antigues shop was called "GuardRoom Antiques" (pshycic or what :o )

Kevin in Deva :beer:

The carboot is still there. The Guard Room Antique shop (set up in the building which housed the guards, near the entrance) is still there. Four more buildings inside the base are now also used by many antiques dealers. All this is a very popular place for antiques...so popular that they now charge 50 pence to get into these buildings on Sundays (carboot day!) as I assume too many people used to just walk in to browse with no intention to buy.

The carboot is still there. The Guard Room Antique shop (set up in the building which housed the guards, near the entrance) is still there. Four more buildings inside the base are now also used by many antiques dealers. All this is a very popular place for antiques...so popular that they now charge 50 pence to get into these buildings on Sundays (carboot day!) as I assume too many people used to just walk in to browse with no intention to buy.

Wow a whole 50p to get in!!!!! :lol: I found a nice book down in the celler of one of the buildings there for 2 Pounds,

it is:

"THE KING'S SERVICE, An Informal History of the British Infantry Soldier" by IAN HAY.

(Major John Hay Beith, C.B.E., M.C., Late of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders.)

Published by METHUEN & CO. LTD. LONDON (First Published in 1938).

There was also a stack of French Adrian helmet shells down there, always sorry I never took one :(

Kevin in Deva :D

Edited by Kev in Deva

• 3 weeks later...

$320 is a bit of a bargain - there is a group here itn he states that operates a B-24, B-17G and a B-25H. They charge $10 to get in and $400 for the flight...

DOn