News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Submarine Depth Gauge ?

I can't actually remember seeing gauges on board ship with a crows foot. Usually the NSN was hand written. The fitting looks correct to be British, I don't think it's going to be the boat's main gauge as that would most probably have been considerably larger. Maybe an engine room repeater.

I can't actually remember seeing gauges on board ship with a crows foot. Usually the NSN was hand written. The fitting looks correct to be British, I don't think it's going to be the boat's main gauge as that would most probably have been considerably larger. Maybe an engine room repeater.

Jim, Thanks, see you are down the road from me I am in Devon, Paul

To think that if guages like that packed in, the sub would be in for a load of trouble to say the least! Very interesting indeed!

Jim :cheers:

It would serverely affect your ability to navigate underwater Jim, though you would know when you were getting to crush depth well before the hull collapsed. The SOP now (and in the past) would be to surface. Obviously a disadvantage as stealth is the subs main trump card, but better than a watery grave due to collision with submerged land features. If you were in enemy waters this would create a bit of a dilemma.

Having said that, many critical gauges on subs are like eyeballs and testicles, you have two just in case... :speechless1:

Regards;

Johnsy

It would serverely affect your ability to navigate underwater Jim, though you would know when you were getting to crush depth well before the hull collapsed. The SOP now (and in the past) would be to surface. Obviously a disadvantage as stealth is the subs main trump card, but better than a watery grave due to collision with submerged land features. If you were in enemy waters this would create a bit of a dilemma.

Having said that, many critical gauges on subs are like eyeballs and testicles, you have two just in case... :speechless1:

Regards;

Johnsy

Just put it on ebay 330120496413 if anyone is interested

To think that if guages like that packed in, the sub would be in for a load of trouble to say the least! Very interesting indeed!

Jim :cheers:

Regards;

Johnsy

As I said, this is most likely a repeater gauge from an engine or topedo room. The main depth gauge would have been much larger, probably about 10 inches diameter and I would think that there would be more than one. This is more a general info for the lads type gauge not one that would be relied upon for a reliable depth indication. Unless thing got really dire of course. :unsure: