News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Guest Rick Research

Quite a normal self-purchased style for lapel wear-- much like the miniatures of the Mutterkreuz. There are also Frontk?mpfer and Kriegsteilnehmer version found in screwbacks. Apparently men also liked this as a large "fashion statement" if they had no other awards for the standard buttonhole lapel ribbons.

I do not know which of the Freiherrn von Gablenz was Police President, since his Wer Ist's entry modestly :banger: omits his first name and birth data and states only that he took that post in February 1933. Whichever one he was, he seems rather unusually not to have been a member of the SS.

Rick, I just realized that I'm ignorant to the fashion of wearing these decorations (not the first time I might add ;) ). To my understanding, they were worn in their normal size on uniform together with others on a medal-bar or as a single medal-bar, as well as ribbon-bar(s). The chains, ribbon-rosettes, miniatures and half-miniatures were for civilian clothes. This is were I'm lost, I don't know the correct position for a pin-back version of a this decoration, nor do I know if it was worn on uniforms as well (I'm taking about all three versions, not just the cross for widows).

KR

Peter

Not that i can see. It went on eBay for the astounding price of 54Euro, a tad much for me so i didn't get it.

Well i think, that is a killer piece and the first one, i have ever seen. Well worth the asked price with document, if you ask me...

I tried to snipe it at 51Euro but alas i failed :cheers:

I bet, it was a Hindenburg Cross Collector, they sometimes pay everything to get a piece like this. There are some very rare variations out there. The Bronze version for example is quite expensive now too.

Guest Rick Research

These little no-ribbon versions were just an unofficial style for civilian clothes.

These little no-ribbon versions were just an unofficial style for civilian clothes.

Hallo Rick, :beer:

excuse what might seem a stupid comment but the screwback and the pin back look like full size versions to me :unsure:

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Why on earth would a widow need a screw-back badge? :o

KR

Peter

The Ehrenkreuz f?r Eltern was for next of kin, regardless of sex. I used to have a stickpin with both Frontk?mpfer and Eltern, obviously not for a woman.

Thanks Rick. Perhaps I should emphasize that I don't have any reservations about the design or appearence of this type of decoration, only the fact that it's a widow-cross. The cross with or w/o swords could of course be worn on the lapel of a jacket. However, female garments rarely featured these lapels, leaving the more likely option of wearing it directly on the chest. I can accept this from a male, but having a slight insight in the female character, I doubt any woman would ruin her garment by punching a big hole in it, in order to attach the screw-disk. Just my two cents ;)

In addition to Tom's response, this cross was awarded to woman.

P.S. Is the cross shown here a normal size cross or a half-miniature (31mm)? D.S.

KR

Peter

Edited by Peter J