News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Gentlemen,

can anyone provide some background information and maybe a rank-list entry of (Rittmeister?) Karl (oder Carl) Freiherr von Andrian? He is probably Bavarian.

I am particular interested in the information, if he had both iron crosses and maybe further awards.

Thanks in advance

Gerd

Edited by Gerd Becker

Guest Rick Research

More information please. Regarding WHAT? There were several of this name and no point getting the wrong one.

KARL Freiherr von Andrian-Werburg (b. 1886) was an infantry officer and recipient of the Military Max Joseph Order. He went back into the Wehrmacht as a Major (E) and ended up an active Oberst, in Yugoslav POW camp 1945-51. Alive in 1968.

Hi,

I have found something but this officer is not Rittmeister (like he is from infantry).

Karl Freiherr von Andrian Werburg received the MJ3, BMVO4aX, bot hEK, PL, probably DA.

That's all for the moment. He survived the war and became Oberstleutnant in 1939.

Christophe

Its him! :cheers: Commander of the B.I.R 16 during WW1, just found out that info.

Thank you very much, you guys are amazing!!! :jumping:

So he obviously got both EK, thats the main info, i was after.

Thanks again :beer:

regards,

Gerd

Edited by Gerd Becker

Guest Rick Research

Actually he moved out of the 16th to the 24th in 1915 after his second wound and stayed with that regiment for the rest of the war.

What have you GOT that you are trying to pin down an identification TO?

Karl Freiherr von Andrian-Werburg.

Born 14 March 1886 in Rietschen-Rothenburg, Silesia (now part of Saxony a few kilometers from the Polish border).

Leutnant: 8 March 1907

Oberleutnant: 18 August 1914

Hauptmann: 27 September 1916

separated 30 March 1920 as a char. Major

Major (E): 1 December 1934 (?)

Oberstleutant (E): 1 April 1939

Oberst: 1 February 1942

He entered the Bavarian 19. Infanterie-Regiment as a Fahnenjunker on 17 July 1905 and transferred to the 16. Infanterie-Regiment on 11 March 1912. He was adjutant of III. Btl./16.IR when the regiment deployed in August 1914 and later led 12.Kp./16.IR. From 13 January to 20 March 1915, he led the Rekruten-Depot 4 of the 1. bayerische Infanterie-Division, and then transferred to the 24. Infanterie-Regiment, where he led the 8.Kompanie. From 16 January to 1 May 1915, he was an acting battalion commander. On 30 October 1918, he became an adjutant with I. bay. Armeekorps.

On 1 February 1940, he was commander of EIR "Augsburg". From 1 May 1941 to 1943, he commanded Infanterie-Regiment 747 (from 15 October 1942 Grenadier-Regiment 747) of the 707. Infanterie-Division. On 1 December 1944 he was Feldkommandant in Agram (Zagreb, Croatia).

Christophe gave you the main awards. The Milit?r-Max Joseph-Orden was for action on 23 June 1916 and was bestowed on 7 August 1917. The Milit?r-Verdienstorden IV. Klasse mit Krone und Schwertern was awarded on 5 April 1917. He was wounded at least three times, so he should have had a 1918 Silver Wound Badge. The 707. Infanterie-Division served in Army Group Center in the winter of 1941-42, so he should also have had the Medaille "Winterschlacht im Osten 1941/42". I imagine there were other WW2 awards, too - 1939 clasps to the EKs, Infantry Assault Badge? Maybe the posting in Zagreb would have led to awards from the Croatian puppet state.

Edited by Dave Danner

Thank you very much, Dave.Thats fantastic! Interesting to see, that he served in WW2 as well. I also wonder, if he got any WW2 awards, maybe even a Knights Cross...

Rick, i don?t have anything of him, but i have seen a documentary about Verdun ("The Hell of Verdun") and wanted to check some of the given facts and i also found this Bavarian Soldier interesting and wanted to know more about him. Particulary about his Iron Crosses, because he complained in a letter home, that he didn?t receive any yet and that he was very depressed about it. They said, he served with the 16th at Verdun, nothing more.

Gentlemen, once again, many thanks for the effort, i appreciate it. :beer:

regards,

Gerd

• 4 years later...

Neither Gerd nor Rick are around, but for those who are interested...

It's kind of odd for Karl Freiherr von Andrian-Werburg to complain about not getting any Iron Crosses, since he got four. Also, at the time of the Verdun battles, he already had one:

1914 Iron Cross 2nd Class, 16.10.1914

1914 Iron Cross 1st Class, 25.6.1916

1939 Clasp to the Iron Cross 2nd Class: 1.5.1942

1939 Clasp to the Iron Cross 1st Class: 15.9.1942

And, for that matter:

Knight's Cross with Swords of the Royal House Order of Hohenzollern: 23.4.1918

1939 War Merit Cross 2nd Class with Swords: 24.12.1940

1939 War Merit Cross 1st Class with Swords: 2.12.1941

His HOH3X was not in Geile's list, so there's one for Daniel to add, if he doesn't already have him.

Regards,

Dave

Edited by Dave Danner

• 1 year later...