News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1907 Bayonet unit markings?

Hi,

I got a british 1907 sword bayonet made in july 1917 by Sanderson. On the pommel are the following markings:

T.

3. M. M.

The "T." and the "1" are in the middle above/under the "3. M. M.". Is this a unit marking?

Edited by JensF.

Hi,

I got a british 1907 sword bayonet made in july 1917 by Sanderson. On the pommel are the following markings:

T.

3. M. M.

The "T." and the "1" are in the middle above/under the "3. M. M.". Is this a unit marking?

With British markings, T usually stands for "Territorial". Unfortunately, the closest unit abbreviations are:

M.M.P. - Military Mounted Police

M.M.G.C. - Motor Machine Gun Corps

Neither of these units were Territorials. The Monmouthshire Regiment was Territorial, but the date is problematical, as although the regiment had several battalions, many of them had been disbanded by 1917.

Jens,

I have a copy of H Williiamson's book (vol II) which has a very long list of unit bayonet markings. Under MM is Monmouthshire Regt. so I'd guess at 3rd Batt. Monmouthshire Regt. Territorials. http://www.rrw.org.uk/museums/brecon/fact_sheets/19.htm

The book doesn't mention the disbandment but the above link says they disbanded in late 1916 so as Michael says, the date could be a bit of a worry.

By the way, a copy of vol II is on ebay.uk at the moment, it's great book with much information on ammo, equipment etc. of many WWI armies and is very much underrated im my opinion.

Tony

P.S.: also from the link, disbanded Aug. 17 A second line battalion of the 3rd Monmouths was formed at Abergavenny in September 1914. February 1915: Moved to Cambridge as part of Welsh Border Brigade, Welsh Division. 19th April 1915: Moved to Northampton as part of 205th Brigade, 68th Division. July 1915: Moved to Bedford. November 1916: Moved to Lowestoft, Suffolk. April 1917: Moved to Herringfleet, Suffolk. August 1917: Battalion disbanded, personnel absorbed in 2/1st and 2/2nd Battalions.

Edited by Tony

To have the first bayonet to any battalion is something in itself.

Here is the link to the Monmouthshire Regiments movements 1914-18 http://www.1914-1918.net/monmouth.htm

The 1/3rd were disbanded in 1916

The 2/3rd was disbanded August 1917

The 3/3rd were absorbed into the South Wales Borderers July 1917

Although the last two battalions only served in the U.K. that is not to say that men posted to other units might not have taken their equipment with them and seen service in France.

I don't imagine that in 1917 there was much spare equipment, so a bayonet produced in the first months of the year may well have been regimentally-marked by summer.