News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

"23" Iron Cross, 1st Class, 1939

I am respectfully soliciting the best thinking of our august membership regarding this cross.

Several hypotheses present themselves. On the one hand, it may be, indeed, a "23" maker maker cross for the manufacturing firm of Arbeitsgemeinschaft fur Heereshedarf darf In der Graveur-u. Ziseleurinnung, on the other, a Souval manufactured piece, possibly period, possibly post-war, onto which the "23" has been stamped on the underside of the pin. The core and frame certainly do not match the 23's I have observed in 2nd Class.

What do you think?

obverse:

post-267-1179516998.jpg

reverse:

post-267-1179517070.jpg

maker mark:

post-267-1179517130.jpg

Guest Darrell

Unusual to say the least. Looks to have a Souval Obverse and and Floch reverse characteristics :unsure:

Edited by Darrell

obverse rims are positively souval, distinctive beading at the corners, does not look like a floch reverse, certainly not a post war floch. My personal opinion, is a genuine period souval cross, the 23 may well be the official Prasidialkanzlei Numbers, not LDO numbers which Souval was L/58 and signified authorised private purchase manufacture.

just my opinion

attached period Souval

alex and bill's reverses are different.

the thing that stands out to me on bill's EK

are the merry-go-round numerals....

the one and the nine off kilter at their bases.

i've seen this before, and not associated with

herr floch, but can't remember where....

i like both crosses, but the 23 is a first for me.

joe

Hi Joe, taking a closer look at the numbers, you're right, I didn't look closely enough, they are of kilter.so maybe not a souval piece but possibly a co-operation between souval and another maker?

regards

Alex