News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Australian B.W.M. for WW1.

Hallo Gents :beer:

This one was posted over at the Great War Forum and I am puting it here to get an opinion or three.

Its being offered on Ebay but no link was given.

It is named to: SMITH, ALBERT EDWARD

Initials: A. E.

Nationality: Australian

Regiment/Service: Australian Infantry, A.I.F.

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 24/07/1916

Service No: 1623

Additional information: Son of Edward and Emily Smith, of "Tasma", Cardigan St., Guildford, New South Wales.

Born at Surry Hills, New South Wales.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Memorial: VILLERS-BRETONNEUX MEMORIAL

One member at GWF made a point about never seeing the word AUSTRALIA on a medal before :o

REAL OR REPRO???

Kevin in Deva :D

Edited by Kev in Deva

I'm not a medal collector but having seen a few WW1 groups, I would be very cautious of this one mainly due to having Australia engraved along with the name. As far as I was concerned Australian issued medals from this era only had the soldiers service number, rank, name and unit (in that order).

Mark

Edited by Mark Gibson

I'm not a medal collector but having seen a few WW1 groups, I would be very cautious of this one mainly due to having Australia engraved along with the name. As far as I was concerned Australian issued medals from this era only had the soldiers service number, rank, name and unit (in that order).

Mark

Hallo Mark, :cheers:

thanks for your quick reply, any others to offer comments??

Kevin in Deva :cheers:

PS: OK I know its the weekend, after all the clubbing and dancing the night away is done then :lol:

While these are far from my collecting focus, as I collect not to natives (of Australia) or even more exotic natives (of the British Isles), but to Indians, I find this naming odd. I'd need to check the majhor dealers' lists (all online), but most contemporary WWI naming would, I think, be "A.I.F.". This seems to me to be a later replacement (or very late issue, especially for a KIA BWM). Worth checking the service records (online, I think?).

Edited by Ed_Haynes

G'da Kev;

The link below will take you to the WW1 Nominal Rolls, and the one below it the Embarkation Roll. To save you some time he appears on File No. 48-069.

As a long time collector of Aussie medals, I can't recall seeing any with "AUSTRALIA" marked on them. Usually if it is there at all, it would be "A.I.F." Though one thing I have learned as a collector, there are always exceptions to the rules, but without provenance I would avoid it.

Regards;

Johnsy

http://www.awm.gov.au/nominalrolls/ww1/index.asp

http://www.awm.gov.au/nominalrolls/ww1/embarkation/index.asp

PS: TO Pylon, A.E. Smith was a well regarded violin maker in Australia who worked briefly with Carl Rothhammer in the US.

Edited by Tiger-pie