News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Australian Light Horse?

Hello,

As we don?t often see pics of Commonwealth soldiers (although most of them here are German) I thought I?d show a stereo view of what appears to be an Aussie officer. I don?t know where the photo was taken but it reads ?prisoners coming in after repulse at Hangard and Villers Bretonneux.?

The Lieutenant on his horse has a shoulder rank as opposed to cuff rank. Does anyone recognise his divisional patch? It?s a diamond with 2 vertical colours, the lighter shade being towards his back. 1st ANZAC Mounted Regiment??

Tony

• 9 months later...

The chap in the photo is a meber of 13th Australian Light Horse from Victoria, one of two ALH units deployed to France, the other being 4th ALH. No, his patch is correctly sewn! The 1st ANZAC patch is the opposite.

Bob,

There were many Light Horse units around 20 or so, arranged on the Regimental scale. Only about 5 were deployed at one time, most commonly in the Middle East. The famous charge at Beersheeba was one example of these excellent units. Being light Horse, they did not attack with sabres, only '07 bayonets drawn! Once the charge was complete, they were supposed to dismount and fight as light infantry. A very tough bunch of blokes indeed. Incidentally, this was the last Light Horse charge on horseback! Its good to go out on a success!

They were maily raised from country areas and included master horsemen in their ranks from an era when only the toughest survived. Stockmen, boundary riders, cattlemen, outback types were all recruited. equally tough were their mounts, known a walers. They were stocky horses, many being their owners pre-war mounts. Unfortunately, all had to be left in Palestine and the Middle East when the units re-deployed to France or Australia. This was an emotional parting, with some choosing to put their horsesdown rather than leave them behind.

Out of interest, a great film on the Beersheeba subject is "The Lighthorsemen", an Aussie production of course and a few years old, but a great tale and quite factual. It deals with all the details of the battle and its peculiarities, but is told in a storyline concentrating on a small group of diggers. Excellent stuff.

Also, Light Horse units still exist now, but are motorised. I am a member of the 4/19th, Prince of Wales Light Horse, a recon unit descended from the 4th and 19th Light Horse. Its a reserve unit. Previous to that I was a member of Australias Tank Regiment, 1st Armoured Regiment, for 13 years. All the traditions of the old days are still strong, from Regimental marches to the wearing of emu plumes in Armoured units slouch hats for parade purposes. Australia's regiments operate on a British traditions system.

hope this helps you out.

Steve

Edited by Afrika

To answer where were they deployed, thats a big task, many units served in several theatres, including home service in Australia. I will elaborate on a couple of the more famous LH units, firstly 10th Light Horse from my home state of Western Australia. Best way to see their service history and deployment is the Battle Honours:

10th Light Horse ; South Africa 1900-1902 Sari Bair, Magdhabarafah Jerusalem, Meggido Defence of Anzac (Gallipoli), Romani Gaza - Beersheba, Jordon (Es Salt), Damascus, Sharon. Mostly Middle East.

9th Light Horse ; SOUTH AFRICA, 1899-1902 ,DEFENCE OF ANZAC, SARI BAIR, GALLIPOLI, 1915, ROMANI

MAGDHABA-RAFAH, GAZA-BEERSHEBA , JERUSALEM, JORDAN (ES SALT), MEGGIDO, SHARON, DAMASCUS .

The record of the 4th Light Horse in the 1914-18 war is without equal in the AIF. It was the only Australian unit to see service on all three fronts, France, Gallipoli and Palestine and was granted a total of 24 Battle Honours of which only 10 can be carried on the guidon. Probably the most notable action of the 4th Light Horse was the Charge at Beersheba on 30 October, 1917.

3rd Light Horse ; SOUTH AFRICA, 1899-1902 ,DEFENCE OF ANZAC, SARI BAIR, GALLIPOLI, 1915, ROMANI

MAGDHABA-RAFAH, GAZA-BEERSHEBA , JERUSALEM, JAFFA, JERICHO, JORDAN (AMMAN)

The two Light Horse regiments which served in France and Belgium - the 4th and 13th - are often forgotten; because they rarely fought as complete units and also because they sometimes worked in support of British, French and Canadian troops.

Once again, i hope this helps.

Steve

Edited by Afrika

Hello Steve,

Thanks for all the info!

About the patch ID, I'll go along with what you say about him being 13 ALH but on the photo the lighter half appears (to me) to be on the left as you look at it.

If you have more info on the ALH please add it, also, if you know where I can get a copy of the film you mentioned please give me a shout.

Tony

Tony,

Yeah, the red should be at the front. Check this link http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-badges...hes/inf-ww1.htm and scroll down to "Other Light Horse Units, 13 ALH", the colour patches are for the left sleeve.

The movie should come up on Google if you search it. If you have problems finding a vendor, let me know and I can pick up a copy for you. You may need an all zones DVD player, as UK/Asut is different to the US.

Cheers guys and I will dig out some more LH info.

Steve

Tony,

Yeah, the red should be at the front. Check this link http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-badges...hes/inf-ww1.htm and scroll down to "Other Light Horse Units, 13 ALH", the colour patches are for the left sleeve.

The movie should come up on Google if you search it. If you have problems finding a vendor, let me know and I can pick up a copy for you. You may need an all zones DVD player, as UK/Asut is different to the US.

Cheers guys and I will dig out some more LH info.

Steve

Cheers Steve, if I can't get the Euro version here I'll have to rent it out and watch it in a few weeks when over your side of the world. That'll please the wife.

Tony

Edited by Tony