News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Alpenkorps headgear edelweiss....

• Replies 249
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris,

Correct me if I am wrong, but I have never seen an Edelwei? being worn on a Tschako. Now, I do know that they made Edelwei? insignia with different types of prongs and pins on the reverse, some of which I think would work on a Tschako.

Chip

Chris,

Correct me if I am wrong, but I have never seen an Edelwei? being worn on a Tschako. Now, I do know that they made Edelwei? insignia with different types of prongs and pins on the reverse, some of which I think would work on a Tschako.

Chip

Hi,

according to the write up in the Alpenkorps book it was meant for the picklehaube and Tschako's as well as the hats...

I would imaginr the Leibers had it as well ...

Maybe only in the field grey cover then?

hello Chris.

The history of Jg.Btl.10 (Hann.) by Lt.d.R .F.Jung while fairly well illustrated shows only one picture ( a sketch) with Tschako wearing Jaeger at rest on campaign with the Edelweiss visible on three Tschakos. They are apparently fastened just behind the front visor and shlightly up. While the picture of this sketch is not large the particular shape of the Edelweiss can be easily made out. None of the other pictures show an Edelweiss in wear ,not on the Tschakos, Kraetzchen nor soft officers visor hats.

BTW : while not a subject of discussion here the book contains a picture of the then Hptm. Kirchheim, PLM and WW II General and recipient of the K.C. , last commander of Jg.Btl. 10 wearing the Edelweiss on the tunic collar

(rt.side only is visible).

Guest Rick Research

That Hessian officer with the BZ3bX and SMK is driving me craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazy, David! Absolutely chicken scratch illegible: IGNORE that.

IF you can make out his rank and unit numbers-- if he is an Oberleutnant "28" then he MUST be

Oberleutnant der Reserve Heinrich KRAUSCH from Ersatz Infanterie Regiment 28:

SMK 28 June 1918 as Oberleutnant dR in Ersatz Infanterie Regiment 28 and "Lehrer aus Bergheim Hessen."

BZ3bX 6 July 1917 as Oberleutnant dR "Ers Inf Rgt."

Now if anybody can get "Krausch Heinrich" out of the uneven, skippy smear below the photo, Yer A Better Man Than I Am, Gunga Din...

but HAS to be him. :rolleyes:

Chris,

Chip

I am beginning to cede this point to Chip....

Although the history of the Alpenkorps says they were authorised on Tchako, Helmets and soft head gear... the only one I have seen on a Tschako were in an Auction catalog... all other photos (period ones) I can only find on Soft headgear...

I was told long ago that many of the men in these alpine units had come from mountainous areas of Germany and thus, some were members of the Deutscher-Oesterreichischer Alpenverein and wore their association badge, which was nearly idenitcal with the badge given by the Austrian emperor. Chris, you can see that one of the badges you have shown has the "D OE V" stamped into the gold center of the flower.

Chip

Hi,

That is possible, or it may have been that it is an old photo of his time in a regular J?ger Battailon? The guy whos Tschako I have served the last 2 years in the 31st Bavarian Infantry Regiment, but is still "Leutnant der reserve der J?ger" on his MVO4 awarded a year and a half after he left the J?ger.

It would be interesting to find out more about his career path.

A nice pic!

• 2 weeks later...

I was told long ago that many of the men in these alpine units had come from mountainous areas of Germany and thus, some were members of the Deutscher-Oesterreichischer Alpenverein and wore their association badge, which was nearly idenitcal with the badge given by the Austrian emperor. Chris, you can see that one of the badges you have shown has the "D OE V" stamped into the gold center of the flower.

Chip

Hi,

according to the Alpenkorps history, the Austrians gave them 20 000 of these badges.

I assume that was the initial lot, and maybe guys added and changed and found others as they went along?

I would guess that there must be variations and that they were all roughly the same size and form, but not all exact matches with badges from another maker?

Here is one I cannot date, it is well travelled, has crossed the atlantic twice ;-)

Traces of the original silver on the back...

I am assuming it is WW1 Austrian issue, it was found in Bavaria, so maybe used by te Alpenkorps?

Or maybe civilian, although I assume civilian associations have some initials on them like the D OE V ?

Chris,

Here is another one that I personally took off of a period salesman's sample board. I was told it was worn by W?rttemburg mountain troops (thus the king's crown). I have only seen one other like it and that one was pinned on an early Reichswehr cap (the one that looks like a Prussian Einheitsm?tze with a cloth covered soft visor). The crown is a good indication, I think, as to the period it was worn, but I have no other information about it.

Chip

Chris,

Here is another one that I personally took off of a period salesman's sample board. I was told it was worn by W?rttemburg mountain troops (thus the king's crown). I have only seen one other like it and that one was pinned on an early Reichswehr cap (the one that looks like a Prussian Einheitsm?tze with a cloth covered soft visor). The crown is a good indication, I think, as to the period it was worn, but I have no other information about it.

Chip

Wow Chip, I like that badge!! :jumping: Can you add that to the list of items going to ME in your WILL? :unsure:

Charles,

You know darn well that in order to take full advantage of my family's tendency for longevity, there will be no items placed in my will for collectors. Not that I don't trust them. :rolleyes:

Chip

• 3 weeks later...