Chris Boonzaier

Alpenkorps headgear edelweiss....

205 posts in this topic

Hi Chris!

Didn´t you see the crossed grenades on the shoulder boards? Foot-artillery!

ID: 179   Posted (edited)

Hmmm, Chris,,,,it looks to me like a WW2 with a broken stalk...

Diametre 4cm?

Edelweiß Wehrmacht goldene Pollen.JPG

eb.jpg.b7fae1019fb9319089a0d76cf77abd20.jpg

Edited by The Prussian

ID: 181   Posted (edited)

Wurttemberg cap, that came with.....and picture with two edelweiss (I have always thought the one without the crown was post war?)

alpen 001.JPG

alpen 003.JPG

alpen 003a.jpg

IMG.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

Edited by dante

ID: 182   Posted (edited)

Here are some "stalked" EWs.

1) Another "Wehrmacht" (four holes)

2) Poland

3) Bundeswehr (three holes)

4) austrian XIV.Korps

Edelweiß Feldkappe Wehrmacht.jpg

Edelweiß (polnisch).JPG

Edelweiß (Bundeswehr).JPG

Edelweiß (Kragenabzeichen XIV.AK links ).JPG

Hello dante!

Right. The one with the crown is post-war. Probably a memory badge from the Leib-Inf.Rgt.

Edited by The Prussian

Right. The one with the crown is post-war. Probably a memory badge from the Leib-Inf.Rgt.

Andy,

I'm not saying this is not true, but do we have any proof either way on that? The only thing I have seen is the ID made by the museum at Sonthofen. They may well be wrong in attributing it to WWI, but I have seen no proof of postwar manufacture either.

Hi Chip!

That´s right too, but have you ever seen a photo with a crowned EW dated in war-time?

Me, I haven´t seen any photos of them, either war-time, nor post-war.  We only know the badge showing in Sonthofen.

OK, here is an interesting one, it belonged to the man who had the Private purchase Leib Regt ring and the 1907 Verein badge.... see the difference to the usual ones.....1aaaa.jpgq.jpgqq.jpg

Very nice pieces, Chris, but unfortunately stil not a proof, that the crowned EW was worn in 14-18.

I like the 1814-1964 one! It reminds at the battle of Badonviller 12.8.1914

7 hours ago, The Prussian said:

Very nice pieces, Chris, but unfortunately stil not a proof, that the crowned EW was worn in 14-18.

Agreed, but it does show 2 very different makers.

Yesterday I recieved a photo, shows v. Dellmensingen and Archeduke Carl in Heltau (near Hermannstadt).

The photo must have been taken between august and November 1916, because Carl had the stars upon the collar. This rank (General) he only had in that period. The austrian officer behind Carl wears a cap badge of the XII.Korps (Hermannstadt)

Alpenkorps_(Dellmensingen,_Erzherzog_Carl,_Heltau,_Edelweiß).jpg

On ‎30‎.‎11‎.‎2016 at 04:11, The Prussian said:

Yesterday I recieved a photo, shows v. Dellmensingen and Archeduke Carl in Heltau (near Hermannstadt).

The photo must have been taken between august and November 1916, because Carl had the stars upon the collar. This rank (General) he only had in that period. The austrian officer behind Carl wears a cap badge of the XII.Korps (Hermannstadt)

Alpenkorps_(Dellmensingen,_Erzherzog_Carl,_Heltau,_Edelweiß).jpg

Does someone know, when it was exactly taken?

Andy,

Thanks for showing this! Very nice views of the Edelweiß.

Chip

Great photo! You don't see 3.Jäger guys wearing a Bluse that often. He is wearing the Prussian style shoulder straps rather than the Hellgrün Bavarian ones. My guess that his Landeskokarde is a Baden one. One of the regiment's battalions was predominantly drawn from Baden.

Chip

The last picture that was posted had a soldier with a cap on. In the front od the cap between the "circlets' was a pin of Red deer stag horns. I have never seen that before. What is it? Is the guy a hunter/Jaeger?

Hello Paul!

No. It´s the badge of the Karpathenkorps. (Carpathian corps). It was given to troops of the 1st and 200th Inf.Div.

Karpathenkorps-Abzeichen_2.JPG

And troops of the 3rd Jäger Rgt since the 2nd Bavarian Jäger Brigade was moved to the 200th IR.

These Edelweiss used as Freikorps Collar badges seem to be the same as the Bavarian Princes on the Leib Regt Haube in the Bavarian Army Museum....le5.jpgfrei2.jpg