News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Alpenkorps headgear edelweiss....

• Replies 249
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

browsing thru the forum I came across this #2 post which was posted way back, so I don´t know if this is still of interest. But the signature on the mount of the photo does not designate the person in the photo but the photographer. His name was Vahldiek. There was a photographer in the 1870s by that name in Brunswig, so this photographer could be from that family (though the town´s name does not really look like Braunschweig. Not to be confused with another family of photographers in Schleswig Holstein and Rostock by the name of Vahlendieck.

GreyC

• 4 weeks later...
    • 4 months later...

Hello KMB!

One can´t say that, because the EW was allowed to wear, but it´s not specified, which one it was.

We have seen different EW on photos. I haven´t seen a DÖAV in wear, but that doesn´t mean, there were none of them.

Note the postcard of the bav. Pi.Kp. 102 where you can see a DÖAV EW!

b. Pi.Kp. 102 (Edelweiß, Alpenkorps).jpg

Edited by The Prussian

There was no Gerbigs-Artillerie-Kanonen-Batterie Nr.10.

The Gebirgs-Batterie 10 was a bavarian one. Set-up in june 1915, mobile since july 1915.

Together with prussian Geb.Bttr.9, bav.Geb.Bttr.1 (later württ. Geb.Bttr.11) and prussian Geb.Bttr.18 it formed the Gebirgs-Artillerie-Abteilung 3.

Gebirgs-Batterien (first they were called Gebirgs-Kanonen-Batterien) were parts of Gebirgs-Artillerie-Abteilungen.

The term "Gebirgs-Artillerie-Kanonnen-Batterie" officially did not exist. Maybe they were named so erroneously in private letters.

• 2 months later...

Hello Fritz!

Unfortunately there ain´t too much infos about the one, that was given by Austia to the Alpenkorps.

Some soldiers bought themselves some badges. It´s hard to say, which one is "original"...

Edelweiße.jpg

Edited by The Prussian

• 4 weeks later...

Probably the holding point for my small collection. A small grouping brought three more--all are 40mm across the longest point, but the small is 34mm. Shall I consider that WWII?  Regarding the DAOV, having read the thread often, I am happy to include these two with the collection.

Top row, the first two are steel. The rest are not magnetic, and appear to be Neusilber. 

Konvolut, Edelweiss (1).JPG

Hi Fritz!

A really nice collection! The last one (34mm). It has a single small pollen in the middle. It looks like mine in the first row (3rd from left) in #217. But the size in untypically. Maybe a civilian one?

I recieved a nice collection of a man who served in peacetime in bav. Inf.Rgt.1 and after mobilization in Inf.Leib-Rgt.

In the III.Reich Wehrpaß it´s mentioned, that he served in those units, nothing more.

In his Militärpaß he recieved MVK III, EKII and DA3, the battles are unfortunately unreadable; but his Soldbuch!!!!! :lol:Scannen0002.thumb.jpg.a74d1d9f978a553c0ec50410b922f377.jpg

"ist berechtigt, das Edelweißabzeichen zu tragen" (is authorized to wear the Edelweiß-badge)!

27 minutes ago, The Prussian said:

Hi Fritz!

A really nice collection! The last one (34mm). It has a single small pollen in the middle. It looks like mine in the first row (3rd from left) in #217. But the size in untypically. Maybe a civilian one?

I recieved a nice collection of a man who served in peacetime in bav. Inf.Rgt.1 and after mobilization in Inf.Leib-Rgt.

In the III.Reich Wehrpaß it´s mentioned, that he served in those units, nothing more.

In his Militärpaß he recieved MVK III, EKII and DA3, the battles are unfortunately unreadable; but his Soldbuch!!!!! :lol:Scannen0002.thumb.jpg.a74d1d9f978a553c0ec50410b922f377.jpg

"ist berechtigt, das Edelweißabzeichen zu tragen" (is authorized to wear the Edelweiß-badge)!

That is fantastic! What an exceptional document. May I share by email with a couple of friends who are not on this forum?

Oh--thank you as well for the kind comment on my collection, and the thoughts on the small one. I got so excited to see the Soldbuch entry.

11 minutes ago, The Prussian said:

Of course! No problem!

Please note, that this page is written in 1914. So the entry about the Edelweiß must have been done later in 1915

Of course. I know these were living documents, and entries span the time in service. 

There ain´t no more interesting entries in the papers. Unfortunately.

Jakob Kohlauf, born 25.1.1896 in Winkel (Lenggries)

18.10.1906 Rekrut in bav. Inf.Rgt.1

22.8.1914: 4.Ers.Kp./Inf.Leib-Rgt.

3.1.1916: überzähliger Gefreiter

30.6.1916: etatmäßiger Gefreiter

Education: Driver

Here is his Stammrolle. I will try to get a better readable scan

Scannen0001.jpg

Edited by The Prussian

• 2 weeks later...