News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Alpenkorps headgear edelweiss....

• Replies 249
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
    • 6 months later...

Stolen from Ebay... unfortunately a totally unpayable price, but these are interesting.

Made in M?nchen, and not those for the Alpenkorps... but belonging to this section anyway....

I have one of these but don't know the history behind it. I'll see if I can find it to see if it's exactly the same with maker marks.

Hello

It?s really hard to detect an Edelweiss from the 1915`s gift. The problem is, that this flower is stil very popular, especially in Bavaria and the alpine area. So a lot of types are out there.

I had a look on several badges publised in different books. In my opinion the following type might be the early 1915-Type, at least one of the Edelweiss, that was definitly worn by soldiers of the Alpenkorps.

It is shown on Prince Heinrich von Bayern?s spiked helmet (see Seibold/Schulz: Die Helme der K?niglich Bayerischen Armee 1806-1918, page 85) and on an officers tschako (page 113)

Also in J?rgen Kraus? ?Die deutsche Armee im ersten Weltkrieg? published in 2004 (there?s also an English issue; Page 130).

Please pay attention to the shape of the blossom: 3 large and 3 small ones; alternating.

From a j?ger?s Soldbuch. He served in the prussian Reserve-J?gerbataillon Nr. 10 from 1915 to january 1918, then he was removed to the bavarian Reseve-J?gerbataillon Nr. 2. In May 1918 he get his first decoration after tree years of service!