News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Alpenkorps headgear edelweiss....

• 2 weeks later...
    • Replies 249
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanx for the close-up! It seems to be a six pollen one.

Beacuse he wears both cap badges, it must be the 3rd Jäger-Regiment as a part of the 200th Inf.Div.

The division at this time (when the card was written), took part at the battles of the Ancre, Somme and Avre from 7.4.-7.8.1918, under the command of the 2nd army

Edited by The Prussian

Oh, that puzzles me... I´m sorry. I was too fast wit the close-up, tha I didn´t see the 37...

So you can forget the 3rd Jäger-Regiment, of course...

They are wearing the Bluse, so the white pipings around the shoulde straps stand for infantry. The IR37 never had seved with the Alpen- or Karpathenkorps.

There was the Landsturm-Inf.Rgt.Nr. 37 that was attached to the 200th Inf.Div. in 1916. Normally Landsturm-Inf.Rgt. wore the old Landsturm-Bataillon numbers at the collar. But in this case they must have been recieved those shoulder straps.

The Landsturm-Inf.Rgt.37 was set up at 28.8.1916 under 9th army as z.b.V.Nr.203

The bataillons were those:

I. (5.Ldst.Inf.Btl. Münster, VII.67)

II. (Ldst.Inf.Btl. Wiesbaden, XVIII.4)

III. (1.Ldst.Inf.Btl. Neustrelitz, IX.4)

The Alpenkorps and the Karpathenkorps also belonged to the 9th army. So the Ldst.Inf.Rgt.37 didn´t have the permission to wear those badges!!!!

The regiment (with the 9th army) was 1916 in Rumania, and from july 1918 in France.

5.-17.7.1918: Trench battles west of Soissons

18.-25.7.1918: Defense between Soissons and Reims. That was the battle, when the photo was taken!

Edited by The Prussian

• 2 months later...
    Hello all together,
    I'm new here. My name is Hackei (Martin Schild ) I'm from Bavaria
    a very interesting side post in the forum
    My grandfather also true in the Bavarian Infantry Body Regement (1916/17 in Romania) and I am looking for an edelweiss on Alpine Corps.
    I observed last year in the Bavarian Army Museum in Ingolstadt
    and took the photos.
    Greetings from Bavaria
    Hackei

• 1 month later...
    • 2 months later...

Hello all together,

My grandfather also true in the Bavarian Infantry Body Regement (1916/17 in Romania) and I am looking for an edelweiss on Alpine Corps.
    I observed last year in the Bavarian Army Museum in Ingolstadt
    and took the photos.

That is one fantastic helmet!!!

• 2 months later...
    • 4 months later...
    • 9 months later...
    • 1 month later...

For anyone who speaks and reads German, I wrote a scientific essay about the Edelweiß badge of the Alpenkorps which appeared in the Magazine called "Der Schlern" in November 2014 under the titel "Das Edelweiß des Alpenkorps. Neue Forschungsergenisse". You can also find some nice photos in this essay, which prove my theory that the "original" Edelweiß from 1915 looked like the one of the German and Austrian Alpine Society (Deutscher und Österreichischer Alpenverein, D.Ö.A.V.). Besides this version, the men of the Alpenkorps wore a lot of differend types of Edelweiß badges, which I think were mostly traded, maybe sometimes bought.

Edited by Alpenkorps1915