News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

RIBBON BAR ARTICLE NEEDS SWORDS

• Replies 53
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Swords only? Hmmmm ...

Oh Rick, you might need crowns and wreaths as well - just as they are from one bar, okay? :blush:

I think I'll post some more, but have to re-scan them first and I'm a bit short in time these days, sorry ...

Guest Rick Research

I've been asked to stop posting MORE scans there until people can read through the one sthat are already posted, so :cheers: and I'll go back to typing award rolls for a while again.

Hi Rick,

Following are the detail pictures from the von Strahl bar which we discussed. Should you need enlargements, zooms or anything else, please don?t hesitate to ask. First is the crown device on the Prussian crown order ribbon.

Not mine and I think the pictures are not to be used in your article Rick, bvut you have to have seen the devices (!!!) on the German/Austrian/Ottoman ribbon bars that were here in auction. The prices were limits, I have neither an idea what those beauties were really sold for nor when the auction was or is ...

http://www.sixbid.com/home/auctions/ams/am...lt/h1_00016.htm

Guest Rick Research

Thanks WC-- those work fine:

But I'm on ribbon bar pix Posting Hiatus for the while. Got to finish off the transcription of Schaumburg-Lippe this weekend. LOTS of things from there to backfill into Lippe Detmold's rolls. :speechless1:

• 3 weeks later...
    Guest Rick Research

Yes, :beer: I have those in my "working on/thinking about" folders-- along with about 50 more :jumping::jumping::jumping: of the most amazing ONLY-Robert-Noss-has-them photographs for the "in wear" gallery."

Your Turkish swords are going into a Main Text section which I will call "Close Enough For Government Work" that will have other good examples of INCORRECT devices on perfectly good original bars. (BTW, I don't remember seeing the ENTIRE ribbon bar that your Osmanie/Liakat with German Xs are on... :rolleyes: )

Just remember-- this is NOT the ONLY project I am working on. I am still typing up Schaumburg-Lippe's 1869-90 award rolls, which then have to be checked against their 1890-1918 awards, which have to be be checked against Lippe-Detmold's 1869-1918, which THEN (huff puff) have to have as much biographical information added that is missing (first names, cross-listed awards).

The HUGE amount of scans already posted :cheers: in the SINGLE ILLUSTRATIONS ONLY section of the Second Edition Ribbon Bar Article are ALREADY 3 to 4 times more (some people have begged me to stop adding more, BTW) than my original Magnum Opus--

and I have not even STARTED on the main text and all the complete ribbon bars and so on.

So slowly but surely. More for this project has been put back on hold while working on the award rolls again.

I am still mulling over organizational presentation. Should I put in ALL the Old Style device close ups (which are huge) in ONE section under Old Style: Crown/Swords/Bars etc etc or... just list them as Crown/Swords/Bar etc etc. That sort of thing. I am talking to myself a lot. Senior Cat has always thought I was crazy, so that's OK.

I need several clones. :catjava:

• 2 weeks later...

Your Turkish swords are going into a Main Text section which I will call "Close Enough For Government Work" that will have other good examples of INCORRECT devices on perfectly good original bars. (BTW, I don't remember seeing the ENTIRE ribbon bar that your Osmanie/Liakat with German Xs are on... :rolleyes: )

Oh, but I've showed it here, and you saw it. ;)

Yes, :beer: I have those in my "working on/thinking about" folders-- along with about 50 more

Okay, here're some more, hope you like them - by the way, they've also been shown yet here. The wreath on the "Iron Crown" ribbon is painted(!!!) green, unter day light you can see the little(!) different colour to the golden wreath on the right.

Guest Rick Research

:jumping: Nice nice nice! But all work in the Ribbon Bar Article area is on the back burner: have got to polish up Schaumburg so Detmold can get printed (comparing both) and am in a blitz with Waldeck for Daniel. :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...
    • 2 years later...
    Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: Ahhh... I have microscopic Xs LOOSE in my parts Box but not actually ON a ribbon bar-- what does the whole thing look like?

They are actually SO small it is silly. They can't have been CHEAPER than normal ones, so it is a weird "fashion statement" indeed. :cheers: