Gentleman's Military Interest Club

Guest John Sukey

Lifted from another forum;
William Manchester book "the Last lion" has an entry about this.
Turing the early 1950's when Manchester was living in Delhi as a foreign correspondent, social scientists began a comprehensive poll of indian villages to determine how many natives knew British rule had ended in 1947.
The survey was aborted when it was discovered that a majority did'nt know the British had even arrived! :cheeky: the East india Company was chartered in 1600.

:rolleyes: Amazing as this sounds there probably some truth in this tale. Many communities living in the remote regions of the world have little care or interest in the outside world. But after 400 years of British Interest including an Empire you would have thought that perhaps word would have got around !

An incredible story but such tales often turn out to be true. British India was a vast Country and lets face it - we only went where the money was! Much like the 'Oil Wars' of today.

The little known but enjoyable film 'The Man who would be King' was, allegedly, based on a true story about one of these mountain Kingdoms.

I'd like to believe there still are tiny patches of sanity left in the world .........

Barney

Guest Atilla Jones

I wonder how long Saxon peasants in the North of England took to realise there had been a bit of a take-over bid down in Hastings in 1066 animal , and did it make much difference to their day to day life, doubt it very much.

I wonder how long Saxon peasants in the North of England took to realise there had been a bit of a take-over bid down in Hastings in 1066 animal , and did it make much difference to their day to day life, doubt it very much.

I suspect that it's the same everywhere - "Some bloke what talks funny wants our money, dear."