News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The NC Ribbon itself...

• 2 weeks later...
    Guest Rick Research

Ah, but how can we tell when LOOSE ribbon was made?

I have a nice chunk of 1864 War With Denmark ribbon-- but is it FROM 1865... or left over dealer stock as the old boys were all dying off in 1912... or 1925?

The only way to be REALLY sure of something would be in a mounted group, where you can say

"This is a pre-1895 bar because no 25 EK2 1870 oakleaves, 1870 war medal bars, or Centenary Medal." That sort of thing.

Without clues that SPECIFIC, it's all guess work. I have some LOVELY "Prehistoric" woven together ribbon ( :cheers: Gerd!!!) but is it 1830s? 1860s? Somewhere in that range.

• 7 years later...
    • 1 year later...
    On 18.6.2007 at 16:51, Rick Research said:

Ah, but how can we tell when LOOSE ribbon was made?

I have a nice chunk of 1864 War With Denmark ribbon-- but is it FROM 1865... or left over dealer stock as the old boys were all dying off in 1912... or 1925?

The only way to be REALLY sure of something would be in a mounted group, where you can say

"This is a pre-1895 bar because no 25 EK2 1870 oakleaves, 1870 war medal bars, or Centenary Medal." That sort of thing.

Without clues that SPECIFIC, it's all guess work. I have some LOVELY "Prehistoric" woven together ribbon ( :cheers: Gerd!!!) but is it 1830s? 1860s? Somewhere in that range.

A bit late to answer but the ribbon 1) was from a rolle that came from a tailor in a part of France occupied between 1870 and 1918, I cannot remember the details but there was something about the maker name on the roll that allowed us to date it and I stupidly only took about 30cms :-(

The 3rd one is still packaged and came wit a cross awarded in 1920

2nd one I dont know.

As to the mounted group... you have to know WHEN it had been mounted!