News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

RK researchable ?

Last year I picked up my one and only RK, the story is as follows, It was taken in 1944 in the Dunkirk area by French Commando's, the recipient was wounded but later died, The French Commando that took it died and it was found during his widows house clearance, is this researchable?

Last year I picked up my one and only RK, the story is as follows, It was taken in 1944 in the Dunkirk area by French Commando's, the recipient was wounded but later died, The French Commando that took it died and it was found during his widows house clearance, is this researchable?

It's possible but how likely is it to come up with the recipient? You'd have to look at all RKT who died in that area and even then you could be left with more than one possibility. I don't know how easy it would be to collate information for that search.

Worth a try though. How do you plan to proceed?

Rich

It's possible but how likely is it to come up with the recipient? You'd have to look at all RKT who died in that area and even then you could be left with more than one possibility. I don't know how easy it would be to collate information for that search.

Worth a try though. How do you plan to proceed?

Rich

Rich, well my first port of call is to find out what FF commando was in the area, then what units were against then look at RKs were KIA in that area around that time, have you any thoughts

If you can get the guy's exact unit and the rough date he picked up the RK then you'd have a half decent starting point (assuming the history of his unit is adequately recorded that is). If you're lucky then it won't be one of the areas where a mass of German troops from all sorts of units were retreating in which case you're going to have a problem. If we're talking about one of the Germans holed up in Dunkirk then i reckon you've got a pretty good chance.

If you can get the guy's exact unit and the rough date he picked up the RK then you'd have a half decent starting point (assuming the history of his unit is adequately recorded that is). If you're lucky then it won't be one of the areas where a mass of German troops from all sorts of units were retreating in which case you're going to have a problem. If we're talking about one of the Germans holed up in Dunkirk then i reckon you've got a pretty good chance.

Simon, thanks I have been trying to find out, will let you all know how I get on, Paul

• 4 weeks later...

This is just my opinion but I would take the story with a grain of salt. I find it hard to believe that this RK came off of a combat soldier because there is absolutely no wear on it. Again, just my opinion.

This is just my opinion but I would take the story with a grain of salt. I find it hard to believe that this RK came off of a combat soldier because there is absolutely no wear on it. Again, just my opinion.

I have to agree, the cross is unworn, comes with a folded piece of ribbon and it's presentation case. just my thoughts

regards

Alex

I have to agree, the cross is unworn, comes with a folded piece of ribbon and it's presentation case. just my thoughts

regards

Alex

Thanks guys, It was bought in a little antique shop in Narbonne, the dealer is Jewish, we got chating about the number of Legion de Honours he had, he showed me a plastic bag with the KC (loose) 2 flower war medals and a tinnie, he told me the story, I paid 300 euros for the lot. this was last year.

oh and the story was told after I bought it.

Edited by dante

But -- and please excuse a novice's question -- how can a decoration that is (1) unnamed, (2) unnumbered, (3) undocumented, and (4) has only the most filmsy merchant's tall tale to support it be considered in any way 'researchable'? You can ask whether the RK is real or not, but 'research'??

But -- and please excuse a novice's question -- how can a decoration that is (1) unnamed, (2) unnumbered, (3) undocumented, and (4) has only the most filmsy merchant's tall tale to support it be considered in any way 'researchable'? You can ask whether the RK is real or not, but 'research'??

Ed, its a story, just would like to research the story thats all, makes me happy , silly , sad but thats all just a bit of fun, the medal is real so why not the story.................................... :(

Go on Dave you are dying to tell................

It's been told many times before but the short version is that 3 years ago I bought 3 RK's, one cased with Oakleaves and the other 2 with Oaks and Swords for ?195.

It's been told many times before but the short version is that 3 years ago I bought 3 RK's, one cased with Oakleaves and the other 2 with Oaks and Swords for ?195.

Well thats a black cat if ever I heard of one, I have a theory that some of the ebay KCs are real but sold as fakes

What about any British MC or DSO group from WW2 :rolleyes:

What about any British MC or DSO group from WW2 :rolleyes:

I wouldn't know, I only collect groups to Indians where the WWII medals (most of them in most groups) are named. No medals to natives (of the British Isles) for me! Few DSOs though, as Indians weren't allowed those lofty ranks in any numbers until they became free. I do have several solid and researchable MC groups, though; most are shown on this forum, I think.

Yet it is true in these corrupt dangerous days that any unnamed/unnumbered medals must have their research value questioned, as there are too many unscrupulous folks who will add anything to anything to make their profits. Provenance, provenance, provenance must remain the guide. However interesting unnamed/unnumbered items may be in numismatic terms, their research value is limited.

Edited by Ed_Haynes