News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soviet - Order for Service to the Homeland 3rd cl

Does anyone else have one of these Soviet Order for Service to the Homeland 3rd class monstrosities? The order was established on 28 October 1974. At first glance it looks like a naval award but it was awarded to all branches of the Armed Forces for a plethora of reasons (combat, political training, education, maintaining combat readiness, mastering new combat equipment, etc). I was going to research this badge but learned that the 3rd class version was awarded approx. 75,000 times and mine is number 110,017, meaning mine was never issued. sad.gif Despite its awkward looks the badge is still very distinguished and aestheticly pleasing. I have also notice that these awards have doubled in price since I bought mine three years ago. Anyone have any others they would like to share or maybe the packet or box it came in (oh God I've been hanging around Marcus Hatton too long)?

Edited by John F.

Guest Rick Research

Marcus will do that! cheeky.gif

2nd type like yours:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1110

1st type with all the extra trimmin's EXCEPT the box:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1042

Now, as to "75,000 awarded"-- that is simply not correct. But check out the documented numbers below. Keep an eye out for recent groups, and I think you will find much higher numbers that WERE awarded, and can be documented as having been awarded!

Some serial numbers and documented years awarded--

1,455 = 4 March 1975

16,341 = 30 April 1975

26,697 = 1977

35,830 = 21 February 1985

39,383 = 1980

43,647 = 1981

54,261 = 27 December 1982

58,013 = 17 February 1984

81,832 = 1987

from these numbers it is entirely possible that yours was awarded. The number in bold is mine, and can be seen, researched in the "1st type" thread linked here above. The underlined numbers can be seen at Dave's EXCELLENT personal website

http://www.forvalor.com/Soviet.htm

and the others are from various sales reports. No, I cannot account for the out of sequence numbers, including Dave's, but his are viewable with those complete groups. Apparently there was "WW2 style" issue of blocks of these to various commands, which awarded pre-numbered lower awards AFTER higher numbers to other commands. ?

So much remains to be finalized in our knowledge of Soviet awards!

beer.gif

Hello Gents,

Thanks for the replies. Rick, I check my source on the number of times this order was awarded and it seems that I missed quoted it. It reads that the 3rd class has been awarded over 75,000 times...and based on your facts maybe number 110,017 is in the realm of possibilities of having been presented.

I agree Gerd, that this is a very nice award, awkward looking but nice. I like the way the screwback is part of the award with the two rockets and I love that light blue enamel.

Best,

John

Edited by John F.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

found this on another russian speaking forum. Can somebody so friendly to translate the text.

thanks in advance

Andreas

"Медальон с венком.

На сколько я разобрался, исходя из имеющихся у нас сканов, маточников для медальона было три. Смотрите на скане.

У Крабов 2 основание, на котором как бы лежат листики в указанном стрелочками месте слегка выступает из под венка."

Edited by Alfred

Andreas, sorry, i cannot help, but i didn?t want to withhold the translation, i got on Worldlingo for that text:

"

Locket mit der Girlande.

Auf wieviel mir abgebaut wurde, auf der Grundlage von die Scans vorhanden f?r uns, Eierst?cke f?r das locket dort waren drei. Sie schauen auf dem Scan.

In ihr ist Unterseite der Krabbe 2, auf, welcher scheinbar L?ge die Bl?tter an dem wie Zeigerplatz

anzeigten

er steht etwas vom Herd das Wiener hervor?

laugh.gif

Gerd

Guest Rick Research

That's a long way of saying on these close ups of the medallion wreath, look at the "slight projection" from the leaf in the wreath.

Without whatever went before and after this (and I'm not asking!) I don't see what the POINT of these arrowed indicators is, since all I see is what looks like different patina/corrosion shadows.

• 4 weeks later...

To post 5:

I looked through a microscope and compared a second (I think it is okay) and third class Order of Homeland. I saw little differences at the mentioned place. But now I am closely clever as before.

The leaf of the second class has sharper/plain borders as the third class. But I think, these little

differences could also be normal production differences and corrosion.

So, in short: ?????

Hi guys,

to page 5, it is valid for Crab-2 (how we call this order in Russia).

the latest known Crab-3 has a number over 140000. But between 110000 and 140000, and also over 140000 there are many non-awarded (if it is correct word in English or non-presented) Crabs-3.

Dima

Jens-

I believe your crab was an awarded one. The only way you'll know for sure is to research it. The ones 110000+ are the only ones I know of that were released (can you imagine how many thousands were released???) that are unresearchable.

Dave

Here are two that I have. Both belonged to generals: serial number 0383 belonged to a General Major, and serial number 2618 belonged to a General Lieuteant. I have the citation for the latter one - if I can find it I'll post it up.

Dave

My only crab. (Wish I had more than one so I could make a really really bad joke.)

#58814 - undocumented.

Gosh they are hard to scan!

Had always assumed there was no hope of research. Am I right? Please prove me wrong!

Edited by Ed_Haynes

My only crab. (Wish I had more than one so I could make a really really bad joke.)

#58814 - undocumented.

Gosh they are hard to scan!

Had always assumed there was no hope of research. Am I right? Please prove me wrong!

Ed,

they are researchable. I will have mine researched and will post the results here, when they are finished.

best,

Gerd

Here's the citation for 2618 (above):

AWARD CITATION

1. Last Name, First Name, Middle Name: Kravchenko, Ivan Ivanovich, G-098751.

2. Military Rank: General Lieutenant

3. Place of Service: Deputy Commander of Independent Military Training Forces, Conscript Training Detachment and Conscript Training for the North Caucuses Military Region.

Recommended for: ?For Service to the Homeland in the Armed Forces of the USSR? 3rd Class.

4. Year of Birth: 1920.

5. Nationality: Russian.

6. Party Membership: Member of the KPSS.

7. Service in the Civil War, in later Battles in Service of the USSR and in the GPW (when and where): Served on the 1st Ukrainian Front from February 1944 to May 1945.

8. Have any Wounds or Contusions in the Great Patriotic War: None.

9. From Which Time with the Red Army: Since October 1938.

10. Which Call-Up Station: Volunteer in the 230th Mountain Rifle Regiment, 83rd Mountain Rifle Division - Instructor.

11. Received Which Awards (from which order): 4 Orders, 7 Medals; Order of the Red Banner for the achievement of military and political success in training, Ukaz PVS 1968.

12. Home Address: Rostav-on-Donu, Prospect Budennovski, House 76, Apartment 18.

Short Concrete Description of Excellent Military Action or Service.

Lieutenant General I.I. Kravchenko is characterized positively in his service. A demanding, proactive, and disciplined general. Possesses good management, methodological, and leadership abilities.

Manages training at the military schools and military departments at civilian higher education establishments in a skillful and competent manner. Conducts demonstration seminars with officers at the military higher education establishments on a high methodological level.

Knows the nature of the modern combat and operations. Is able to competently evaluate the situation and make the best tactical decision. Continuously works on enhancing his own military, political, and technical knowledge, as well as actively participates in public and political life. Skillfully engages the Party cell of the section. Often conducts lectures and makes reports for the military schools' personnel and faculty of the military departments at civilian higher education establishments.

Is modest in private life, morally stable and ideologically consistent.

Deserves to be awarded the Order 'For Serving the Homeland in the USSR Armed Forces', 3rd Class.

Discussed and approved by the Military Council of the Military Region on March 29, 1975, minutes #2.

COMMANDER, NORTH CAUCUSES MILITARY REGION

COLONEL GENERAL (signed) D. LITOVTSEV

Edited by NavyFCO

Guest Rick Research

Dave's here!!! :jumping::jumping::jumping:

His Sinister Connections :rolleyes: got my #1455 done--

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1042

:cheers:

Which remains THE most thoroughly documented one I have seen.

I am interested to see #2618 also from March 1975 was the elusive "relief reverse" variant BUT

#383 was NOT that type. So we can tweak the range a bit and DEDUCT almost 400 (?) from potential numbers of the relief type 3rd Classes. :cool:

Rick-

It's good to be here and share some of this useless info. :P:beer:

This baby (2618) isn't off the same Ukaz as Vozachenko's, but it was part of the next Ukaz, dated 30 March 1975. So, that puts nice range limits at least on the Ukaz for his, and now possibly for this one...

Dave

Here are a couple more Homeland citations. First is the citation for the Homeland 2nd Class to General of the Army Luchinsky. It is dated 26 December 1989 (merry Christmas general!) and it was awarded by Ukaz of 22 Feb 1990.

Here's another one, but to a different Luchinsky - I believe his son. This fellow was a Colonel serving as the Commander 61st Training Motor Rifle Division in 1974. Sorry for the postage-size scan, but this is the biggest I can post at the moment.

Guest Rick Research

Typical! papa's looks like a "well, he's still breathing" award of the sort so beloved in the Brezhnev era! :cheeky:

Typical! papa's looks like a "well, he's still breathing" award of the sort so beloved in the Brezhnev era! :cheeky:

I've got a few more like that. In the USSR, you knew you were cool when you finally got your OWN Ukaz! :cool: When I get off probation, I'll post up some of the citations for awards to some of the "big boys" (that I have research for, of course) for their awards.

Dave

Hey Dave,

i am glad, you found the way to this forum ;) I hope you share more of this "useless" info :beer:

Do you have ever researched one of these in higher serialnumber-range like 80-90.000? Did the value of this Order decrease with the time as well, like it happened to other Soviet orders like Red-Star and Red-Banner?

best,

Gerd