News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Ribbon Bars With BOTH Lippes

Guest Rick Research

Wish I had the rolls for these to identify this officer!--

And you'd think with 99 awarded, this Brunswick Lifesaving Medal winner would pop right up:

But noooooooooooooooo. :banger:

Very nice bars, Rick. How many of the Bruswick Lifesaving-Medals do you have seen on ribbonbars? I have maybe seen two or three in 5 years.

Rick has (at least) one, I've got two which belong together. I cannot remember any more, but there are many bars with green ribbon and "you'll never know it" ... :banger:

Do you have a picture of a Medal mounted on a medalbar?

This one is from Werner Nickel's collection, shown on the top of Nimmergut's opus magnum part V:

The bar of Hauptmann von Grone (I hope I may show it here?!):

Edited by saschaw

Sascha, the ribbonbars, you mention, were probably the ones, i have seen. Thats an amazing Medalbar, thanks for the picture. :love: The first one, i have seen on a medalbar.

Edit: Wow, i totally missed the Prussian Lifesaving Medal next to it. Did Hauptmann von Grone get both for the same lifesaving-act or for two different?

best,

Gerd

Edited by Gerd Becker

Sascha, the ribbonbars, you mention, were probably the ones, i have seen.

Presumably, yes ...

Wow, i totally missed the Prussian Lifesaving Medal next to it. Did Hauptmann von Grone get both for the same lifesaving-act or for two different?

I've got no idea, but I guess Werner Nickel knows it, the bar's in his collection. :speechless1: The strange thing is that the combination of my ribbon bars and of Hauptmann grone are ALMOST the same, the only differnce is the Oldenburger and may be the Austrian - if we leave the peace time orders out of the ribbon bar - which was not to incommon in World War I.

Hi Rick,

don't cry....

May be the wearer of your bar is OL dLwaD Gustav Spies, Regierungsrat at the Oberversicherungsgericht in Braunschweig.

He got the lefe-saving medal as a Primaner, has the Landwehrdienstauszeichnung 2. class and in 1915 the EK 2 1914 and war merit cross of Brunswick - maybe he got some more.. :cheers:

Werner

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: Werner! Have you got a LIST of the Brunswick Lifesaving Medal recipients?

1) with dates? What year was he a Primaner? ( trying to figure out if he was an Einjahr Frewilliger 1896/97)

2) how do you know he had EK2 and BrK?

What mysterious secret sources have you got?

H Rick,

the sam mysterious sources as you.. :cheers::cheers::cheers:

He got the life saving medal in 1887 - I know some wearer. In 1898 he was a SL dR in IR 82 with LwBez Braunschweig. In the Hofhandbuch 1916 he was listed with the EK and the BrKVK.

What make your listings - when can I get them????

Regards

Werner

Hi Sascha,

I think you are right with the ribbon bars. I know some documents of von Grone, but not the document of the Friedrich August Kreuz. The bavarian cross he got in 1916, the mecklenburg war merit cross in 1917.

Best regards

Werner

Gustav Spies was commissioned as a Sekonde-Lieutenant der Reserve into the 2. Kurhessisches Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 82 on 15 November 1894 (18.11.94 Y2Y). Promoted to Oberleutnant d.R on 27.1.05, he transfered into Landwehr status in 1906/1907. He retired from Landwehr duty on 23 May 1911. Recalled for service on the outbreak of war he was promoted to Hauptmann der Landwehr a.D. on 30.11.14.

Regards

Glenn

I think you are right with the ribbon bars. I know some documents of von Grone, but not the document of the Friedrich August Kreuz. The bavarian cross he got in 1916, the mecklenburg war merit cross in 1917.

Thanks Werner, I think it is not a match to your medal bar. Your medal bar is post 1934, and why should he not wear his Oldenburger any longer? But they're thaaaat similar, veeeeery strange indeed ...

Oh, I love this green ribbons...

Do you have ALL known mounted medals? :speechless1::speechless1::speechless1:

Guest Rick Research

Aaaaggghh. I am BLIND, BLIND!!!!!!!! :love::love::love:

OK, with the 1887 date and Glenn's dates, mine cannot be Spies--

he would not have had the 1897, and there is NO Braunbschweig House in '16.

The more I can NOT find an officer with my bar's combination, the more I think he was a senior NCO like that last bar you show us above, Werner.

A Prussian XV, 1897, BrL-Verdienstkreuz (WITHOUT Xs for Southwest Africa like YOURS! :jumping: ).... and the Braunschweig ?.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh. :banger: