News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Wilhelm Volrad von Rauchhaupt - who was he ?

I got this postcard yesterday on a fleamarket:

ak-husaren1.jpg

A nice card, although it is damaged by two holes, but I liked the design.

Now, this card was written by Wilhelm Volrad von Rauchhaupt who was the author of a 1957 published book, named "Preussisches Herz" - "Prussian Heart".

He writes about the publishing in the text.

ak-husaren1a.jpg

What I would like to know - who was von Rauchhaupt and what did he has to do with the Braunschweig Husars ?

Any info welcome, as always.

Thanks in advance

Robert

Robert,

Wilhelm Volrad von Rauchhaupt joined the Kaiser Alexander-Garde-Grenadier-Regiment as a Fahnenjunker at the outbreak of war in 1914. Promoted to F?hnrich on 22.5.1915 in Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 95, he was commissioned on 14.8.15.

He rejoined the Wehrmacht in 1934 and became a Squadron Leader in Reiter-Regiment Nr. 1. He is shown in 1939 as a Major (1.8.38 (21)) on the Regimental Staff of Kavallerieregiment Nr. 18. His final promotion was to Oberst on 1.2.43 (31).

He also wrote "Die Deutsche Kavallerie zwischen den beiden letzten Kriegen (von 1919 bis 1939)". He died in 1974.

Another v. Rauchhaupt (brother?) was commissioned into the Braunschweigisches Husaren-Regiment Nr. 17 on 19 August 1909 with a Patent of 17.8.07 Q. He was transfered to the newly formed J?ger-Regiment zu Pferde Nr. 13 when that regiment was formed on 1 October 1913. Promoted to Oberleutnant on 27.1.15 and to Rittmeister on 25.11.16 V3v. He is shown in the Ehrenrangliste as being a General Staff officer with the 1. Landwehr-Division late in the war.

Regards

Glenn

Edited by Glenn J