News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

New interesting picture - identification needed :)

Hi.

Friend of mine asked me about this picture. I believe two of them are from Grenadier-Regiment Konig Friedrich Wilhelm IV (1. Pommersches) Nr. 2. What about the first one? And what can we say about Miliz Bataillon Nr.3 ? (Can't find it in Ruhmeshalle unserer alten Armee...).

prusacy002in3.jpg

Marcin,

I can tell you that the two on the left are dragoons, possibly from the Grenadier zu Pferde Rgt. Nr.3. The first clue is the squared-off corners of the helmet visors. Then there are the mounted belts and the issue M89 Kavalleriedegen. One of the streamers on the standard mentions King Gustav the V of Sweden, whose cypher that regiment wore on their shoulder straps. The infantryman is probably from the Pommeranian Inf.Rgt.Nr.14. also stationed in Bromberg. Both of these units were in the II.A.K.

Chip

Marcin,

Perhaps it is a corps level photo and not one taken in Bromberg. I had missed the "1". That would make it what you first suggested, though I cannot see the shoulder strap cypher to confirm it. I'm not a spiked helmet expert, but would the fifth grenadier regiment wear a grenadier eagle on their helmets and not the line chicken?

Chip

Edited by Chip

but would the fifth grenadier regiment were a grenadier eagle on their helmets and not the line chicken?

Chip

According the reference work I have, Imperial German Headgear (1888-1914) Field Guide, by James D. Turinetti and Jn. Albert O'Connor the Grenadier-Regiment K?nig Friedrich I (4. Ostpreu?isches) Nr.5 wore the old style grenadier eagle that looked almost like the line eagle except it has the oval on the chest with the FWR cypher on it. They changed to the bigger grenadier eagle in 1913.

Edited by Mike Dwyer