News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Help to identify Freikorp unit

Hello folks,

I recently bought this picture at e-bay and would like to know which Freikorp unit these men belonged to. Note that they were wearing what seems to be blue and white armbands.

Any help is welcome,

Douglas

soldier946ui0.jpg

Guest Rick Research

There seems to be something printed on the upper white/light part-- can you zoom in and maybe play with the contrast? The man at far right has the clearest looking lettering on his armband.

The first guy on the left standing appears to have a badge on his lower left sleeve as well :cheers:

If the armbands are blue & white a possible Bavarian connection.

Kevin in Deva :cheers:

Edited by Kev in Deva

Rick and Kevin,

Thanks for your replies. Here are two pictures with a 500% zoom of the details you mentioned. Hope it helps. In addition, according to astamp in the postcard, the picture was developed in Tubingen. Only while I was scanning the picture I noticed that they were not wearing shoulder boards.

Douglas

Guest Rick Research

No, sorry-- too blurry. That's not a badge on his sleeve-- it's paper tucked down the cuff turn-back.

• 2 months later...

Detachement Probstmayr

formed 5 apr 1919 at Donauw?rth

used to form Reichswehr-Brigade 23

comander:major Probstmayr

insigne blue and white band

Hello folks,

I recently bought this picture at e-bay and would like to know which Freikorp unit these men belonged to. Note that they were wearing what seems to be blue and white armbands.

Any help is welcome,

Douglas

soldier946ui0.jpg

Detachement Probstmayr

formed 5 apr 1919 at Donauw?rth

used to form Reichswehr-Brigade 23

comander:major Probstmayr

insigne blue and white band

Hello folks,

Any help is welcome,

Douglas

soldier946ui0.jpg

Edited by pegasus

Pegasus;

Very impressive!

As you must know a lot about Freikorps, could you suggest source material on Major von Stephani's "Potsdam Regiment" or "Freikorps Potsdam"? Also Major von Stephani himself, and the fighting at the Vorwart building in January 1919? My father took part in that fight with that Freikorps. I have some oral history.

Also, any participation in the later round of fighting between Freikorps Potsdam and the Sparticists that occured a couple on months later? My father also seems to have participated in that, but my oral history from that period is not as dramatic, more cordoning off city areas in revolt and preventing arms and ammunition from being smuggled in.

Bob Lembke

The Regiment Potsdam, also Freikorps Potsdam or Freiwilligen-Regiment Potsdam.

was formed 15 jan 1919 it was used to form Reichswehr-Brigade 3 in june together with freikorps H?lsen.

formed in the area of Generalkommando des Garde-Korps(Berlin).

manpower:1764

order of battle:I. Bataillon; II. Bataillon; 8 x Artillerie Batterie; 7 x Eskadron.

insigne:gold arm badge featuring a M.1916 helmet surmounting a scroll bearing the legend "Freikorps Potsdam",all centered over two crossed swords.

11 jan 1919 entered the freikorps Berlin with 560men and entered by storm the Vorwart building.after members of the parliament singt the serender there where cold-blooded murderd.

Friedrich Franz Adolf von Stephani (12/06/1876 Bielefeld-24/04/1939 Berlin)

was the son of pruisische General of infanterie Louis Ferdinand Oskar von Stephani (1843-1916). He was luitenant in 1895 and 1 luitenant 1904 from the Schutztruppe at Kamerun.1905 at the schutztruppe at Deutsch-s?dwestafrika.from 1908 till 1910 at the Reichskolonialamt.with the Yola-Tschadsee-Frontierexpedition in Kamerun from 1907/08 as member and from 1908/09 as leader.

1912 as leader from the 8 kompanie schutztruppe at kamerun

at 20/04/1910 kaptain

last 27/01/1917 as major at the 1. garde-regiment zu Fuss.

was Rechtsritter from Johanniterorde.

greetings,

pegasus

Pegasus;

Very impressive!

As you must know a lot about Freikorps, could you suggest source material on Major von Stephani's "Potsdam Regiment" or "Freikorps Potsdam"? Also Major von Stephani himself, and the fighting at the Vorwart building in January 1919? My father took part in that fight with that Freikorps. I have some oral history.

Also, any participation in the later round of fighting between Freikorps Potsdam and the Sparticists that occured a couple on months later? My father also seems to have participated in that, but my oral history from that period is not as dramatic, more cordoning off city areas in revolt and preventing arms and ammunition from being smuggled in.

Bob Lembke