News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Guest kurtz

Well for me it would have to be the DAKOTA, yes, a twin engined transport plane. Where would the Allies been without it?

If there were no FW190s they would have just made a few more ME109s, no Mosquitos, more Beaufighters, Typhoon? keep the Hurricane.

But what would have taken the place of the DAKOTA????? I rest my case!

I know that the DC3 was the transport work horse of the allies, but it was hardly an 'all rounder'. The Hurricane was hardly an all rounder either, it was just the main stay of the Fighters.
    As for a replacement for the DC3, how about the Wellington, Whitley, Handley Paige or Liberator to name but a few.

Guest kurtz

Guys

What is the meaning of 'all rounder' in relation to WW2? No aircraft could do everything, 'Multi role' is a modern concept and whilst some aircraft could do more than one thing, could not the phrase 'all rounder' be applied to the impact an aircraft had on the war?

Anyway the DC3 flew as a ground attack aircraft in SE Asia, it just had to wait until the 60s before its full potential was realised!!!!!

and another thing, didn't Handley Page make aircraft?

• 1 year later...

To pen to pick 1:

Single engine fighters: Spitfire, Tempest, Ki-84, George, Fw-190D, Zero (early war)

Nightfighters: P-61 and Mosquito

2 engine bombers: B-26, A-26, Ju-188/288/388, and repeat mosquito

4 engine bombers: B-17

twin engine fighters: P-38 and Mosquito

Ground attack: Typhoon, FW-190, and P-47

But arguments could be had for many as a lot of types were close in the peak of propeller driven development.

Mark

Night fighter, RAF Mosquito XXX

German, Ju 88G-6 and the Me 262A-1a most probably the superior of any night fighters in the war......

US 0 the p-61 was a dog in my opinion but the US wanted something to replce its Beaus and Mossies for something to call their own.

Fw 190A-8 and variants probably the best A/C weapons platform the Luftwaffe could muster till the TA 152H was available but that craft never flew at it's intended high altitiude specs.

The P-51 D and K for overall proficient high altitude cover although by 1945 with the endless amount of Mustangs in the air the Luftwaffe could never prove itself within a one-sided aerial engagement not even with the Me 262A