News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello

Would any memebers please tell me what time era this knight 2nd class/swds was issued. The center is gold and the swords are directly fixed to the cross, first I have seen this kind of sword mounting. Thanks

Sincerely

Yankee

Hello Yankee:

This is not a typical WWI piece or maker. With the centers being gold, the piece would most likely be from the 1870-71 or colonial period. It could also be a very early WWI piece. Unfortunately, there is no way to tell for certain, unless someone knows when THIS manufacturer made FO badges, and if there was a finite window in time.

An unusual and very nice piece!

Congratulations,

"SPM"

Hello Yankee:

This is not a typical WWI piece or maker. With the centers being gold, the piece would most likely be from the 1870-71 or colonial period. It could also be a very early WWI piece. Unfortunately, there is no way to tell for certain, unless someone knows when THIS manufacturer made FO badges, and if there was a finite window in time.

An unusual and very nice piece!

Congratulations,

"SPM"

Hi SPM

Thanks for your insight :cheers: , an excellent idea to find out when Otto Wennberg was in business, must admit I never knew of this jeweler before :(

Sincerely

Yankee

Hi Yankee,

As I understand it, early issue pieces had the swords directly fixed to the cross. The later, WWI issue pieces, had the double eyelet suspension system, with which we are more familiar. However, there exist examples with a true hinged arrangement which apparently were awarded for a short period either before or between the two types mentioned above. Below is an example of this third type of suspension on a commander?s badge.

Hopefully, Uwe will see this thread and give us all of the details.

Regards,

Wild Card

Hi Yankee,

As I understand it, early issue pieces had the swords directly fixed to the cross. The later, WWI issue pieces, had the double eyelet suspension system, with which we are more familiar. However, there exist examples with a true hinged arrangement which apparently were awarded for a short period either before or between the two types mentioned above. Below is an example of this third type of suspension on a commander?s badge.

Hopefully, Uwe will see this thread and give us all of the details.

Regards,

Wild Card

Hi Wild Card

Understand what youy mean, thanks for posting that beautiful example :jumping: Certainly true a picture is worth a thousand words. I went on the net to find any further info on Otto Wennberg and strangely enough only came up with Der Rittmeister who has an example of a knight 2nd class w/swds :cool: ( swords in gold ) this type looks more like the hinged type as you talked about, certainly not the rings or loops that one normally comes across. Unfortunately no luck when Otto Wennberg was in business but judging by the example that Der WRittmeister has, safe to say he was an early order manufacturer.

Sincerely

Yankee

• 9 months later...

Hi SPM

Thanks for your insight :cheers: , an excellent idea to find out when Otto Wennberg was in business, must admit I never knew of this jeweler before :(

Sincerely

Yankee

Otto Wennberg was in busines from 1903 until 1915. The case shown is only produced in 1914/15 when Ott Wennberg produced the FrO 3b with swords. The FrO 3b shown here is definitely not a Wennberg, it is a 1914/15 produced cross from the manufacturer Eduard Foehr. The art of connection of the swords is not a question of period, only a question of the manufacturer (the double eyelet system for example is only used by the Stuttgart Mint). Foehr for Example always fixed the swords directly to the cross...

The very early 1914 (and early 1915) WWI Friedrich Orders are always in gold and not silver gilt.

Best regards

Matthias

Otto Wennberg was in busines from 1903 until 1915. The case shown is only produced in 1914/15 when Ott Wennberg produced the FrO 3b with swords. The FrO 3b shown here is definitely not a Wennberg, it is a 1914/15 produced cross from the manufacturer Eduard Foehr. The art of connection of the swords is not a question of period, only a question of the manufacturer (the double eyelet system for example is only used by the Stuttgart Mint). Foehr for Example always fixed the swords directly to the cross...

The very early 1914 (and early 1915) WWI Friedrich Orders are always in gold and not silver gilt.

Best regards

Matthias

Hi Matthias

Many thanks for your kind help in correcting me, bringing excellent detailed research into this topic. I just assumed that the order and case was a match since it was purchased together and a good fit. Are the Otto Wenning examples of the knight 2nd class swords in gold too or just the cross? By chance have you a picture of a Wenning example that you can share. Enjoyed :jumping: touring your neat web site. Just read your excellent article :cheers: on the St. Henry medal which was most informative in clearing up my confusion with Rothe era examples. The St.Henry medal 1848-9 is identical to the 1914-18? Thank you.

Sincerely

Brian

...Are the Otto Wenning examples of the knight 2nd class swords in gold too or just the cross? By chance have you a picture of a Wenning example that you can share....

The swords of the knights 2nd class (made by Otto Wennberg) are always gold. I have researched and published (in the last two publications of the German collectors society -BDOS- magazine) the very interesting biographies of the jewellers Eduard Foehr and Carl Zinser. Next publication will be the bio of Otto Wennberg...This for the very first time published data and facts will clarify many presumptions and allegations to the Wuerttemberg jewellers...

Best regards

Matthias

This is a typical Wennberg FrO 3b with swords (untipical at this example is the medaillon ring in normal gold, instead of the for this manufacturer usual redgold).

Edited by kunsho

This is a typical Wennberg FrO 3b with swords (untipical at this example is the medaillon ring in normal gold, instead of the for this manufacturer usual redgold).

Many kind thanks for pointing out what material the swords should be made from. Your foto is absolutely well detailed, can see clearly that Wennberg piece is clearly superior in quality then the other firms. I guess prior to WWl the jewelers didn't look to cut corners.

Sincerely

Brian

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Matthias

Take a close look at post 3 and there you will find a detailed foto of the interior case, you will notice how the sword hilts sit directly on the cross. Your example would be impossible to fit into the case by Wennberg ( post 3) due to the link between the rectangular loop and sword hilt ( swords not resting directly on cross ). Take a look at your case and there should be a different layout. Possible the jeweler changed his design in last months of operation in 1915 as the case would show.

Sincerely

Brian

Hi Matthias

Take a close look at post 3 and there you will find a detailed foto of the interior case, you will notice how the sword hilts sit directly on the cross. Your example would be impossible to fit into the case by Wennberg ( post 3) due to the link between the rectangular loop and sword hilt ( swords not resting directly on cross ). Take a look at your case and there should be a different layout. Possible the jeweler changed his design in last months of operation in 1915 as the case would show.

Sincerely

Brian

Gentlemen,

Over the years, I have noticed something that strikes me as being a bit out of the ordinary with regard to this order. It seems that while knight?s 2nd class crosses with swords are rather common, knight?s 2nd class crosses without swords are equally rare. Has anyone else noticed this, or is it me?

Below is a 2nd class cross without swords; conveniently (for the purpose of this thread) produced by Otto Wennberg - at least that?s what it?s case indicates.

Wild Card

Hello Wildcard:

Yes, I have noticed this too!

I have seen Friedrich Order 2nd Class badges with swords removed by someone unscrupulous to make an instant badge without swords.

I was lucky enough to get a genuine 2nd Class w/o swords from Eric Ludvigsen's collection many years ago.

Best regards,

"SPM"

• 4 years later...