News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1914 Mons Star Group

I saw the posting on the 1914 Mons star and remembered I had a group that included one. I have no knowledge of British medals but have purchased them over the years when they appealed to me. My main interest is American, Japanese, and Russian medal groups.

All except the first medal are named to 8400 Ser JT G. F. Young R.F.A. The medals have been mounted on a piece of cardboard for display.

I noticed that some Mons stars had the AUG banner between the swords and some did not have it. What is the difference?

When I have time I will post some other medals that I have.

Regards

Jim

If it has the August/November scrolls it is a 1914 Star. If it does not, it is a 1914-15 Star. Different medals.

Nice group, by the way! It will be interesting to learn how an enlisted man got a OBE (gilt, right?). Or did he get commissioned during the war?

I have never researched any British medal or medal groups that I have. Now that I am retired I will have to learn how to do that now that I am able to spend some time this facet of my collecting.

So what I am saying is that I have absoutly no information on this individual.

Guess this group is a good place to learn how to do research on British Medals. My main collecting field is American, Russian, and Japanese medals.

Regards

Jim

If it has the August/November scrolls it is a 1914 Star. If it does not, it is a 1914-15 Star. Different medals.

Nice group, by the way! It will be interesting to learn how an enlisted man got a OBE (gilt, right?). Or did he get commissioned during the war?

Certainly a nice group and well worth researching.

Just checked the NA; Francis George Young is down as a BQMS and later Lieutenant http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=1

James, it'll be well worth the ?3.50 to download his MIC.

Tony

Tony thanks for the information on the National Archives site. I went and ordered and recieved the information that was just based on his WWI service. To be quite honest I really do not know what I am looking at it appears that he was entitled to the 1914 star, the victory medal the 1914-1915 star and the other three cards shown have the top discription space blocked off.

Now that I have started to research this group where do I go for the rest of his service records including his time in Africa?

To research British medals is a whole new area for me, I feel a like a babe in the woods.

Jim

Jim,

Post a pic of his MIC, some of us might be able to work out the scribbles.

I think all officer records survived and are held at the NA. This would mean paying a researcher to access them unless you happen to be passing by and have the time to look in the file yourself.

Tony

I went and ordered and recieved the information that was just based on his WWI service. To be quite honest I really do not know what I am looking at it appears that he was entitled to the 1914 star, the victory medal the 1914-1915 star and the other three cards shown have the top discription space blocked off.

Jim

I think you're probably looking at 6 different cards. Each sheet holds the medal index card for 6 recipients, sometimes other awards for the same person may be on a different card but possibly on the same sheet.

His Star shows his name, number and rank upon theatre entry, his BWM & VM probably show his officer rank. This whould also be noted on his index card.

Where's Leigh? He knows quite a bit about this stuff and I believe Ed does too.

Tony

Guest Rick Research

I didn't find him in "Honours and Awards 1914-1920" for a first type MBE, military or civil.

Once you target HIM on the multi-card page that the National Archives sent (one card only, usually), the codes are not THAT hard to break.

Are sure that this is "Francis George Young"?

The notoriously cranky online London Gazette shows an MBE (military) to one "Lieutenant- (D.O.) Francis George Young, Royal Artillery." in the 1924 Birthday Honours (30 May 1924).

It also shows as of 8 June 1919: "R. S.M. Francis George Young to be Lt. (D.O.), 26th Nov.- 1918, .with seniority next below Lt. (D'.O.)1 J. Old, but without pay and allowances prior to 8th June 1919."

Once you target HIM on the multi-card page that the National Archives sent (one card only, usually), the codes are not THAT hard to break.

Are sure that this is "Francis George Young"?

The notoriously cranky online London Gazette shows an MBE (military) to one "Lieutenant- (D.O.) Francis George Young, Royal Artillery." in the 1924 Birthday Honours (30 May 1924).

It also shows as of 8 June 1919: "R. S.M. Francis George Young to be Lt. (D.O.), 26th Nov.- 1918, .with seniority next below Lt. (D'.O.)1 J. Old, but without pay and allowances prior to 8th June 1919."

Ed, here's a copy from the NA site showing his name as Francis George Young. The service number and Corps all seem to fit.

Jim, will pm you in a bit with my email address. Do the BWM and VM show his rank as Lieutenant?

Tony

Hi Tony

Just emailed the information to you, thanks

Re: your quetion on how the medals are named

The 1914 cross is to B.Q.M. Sgt

The BWM is to W.O CL.1

The VM is to W.O CL.1

The rest are to B.Q.M Sgt

Regards

Jim

It looks like he entered theatre on 14.10.14 which qualified him for the 1914 Star and being in range of enemy guns, the clasp & roses too.

Looking at the writing, does it say Star extracted to safe 6.9.18 forwarded to O/C 16th (?) Bde. RFA for disposal 8.10.19?

Could they have made a mistake concerning his qualyfing date?

Tony

post-103-1182963111_thumb.jpg