News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi Don,

I wish I could pick out small details in photos and enlarge as them as clearly as you have done...all I get is a large blurry image!

Nice portrait there Claymore.

Regarding the enlarging, it's down to two factors, firstly the image quality (I was lucky with this one as the original image was sharp), & secondly a good quality scanner & it's software. I use an Epson Perfection 1670 which gives really nice depth of field for things like badges & medals, plus sharp images of pictures. It also came with some very powerfull software that allows for controlling & cropping the image before scanning.

Cheers

Don

Thanks for the technical info Don, something to think about!

...back to SA uniforms...

...this handsome fellow here wears the regulation single right-shoulder board (or epaulette)....

...I've read that this was official from 'about 1931'...or 'around 1933'......which is it ???

to Don:

Thanks for sharing this great portrait with the Goldon Party Badge. Very nice!

to Clay:

The pictures are unfortunate to small to know for sure wether it is a docter or a vet. The second man looks like a serpent.

The shoulderboard were introduced on the 6th of June'33. The Musiker of St.354 is from SA Gruppe Sachsen. There're too many Standartes with number 27 to locate the other for certain.

Best,

Laurens

Hi Laurens,

Thanks for the information on the SA unit locations...with regards to the Musiker from St.354, I'm waiting on delivery of a small 1934 porcelain tinnie (made by Meissen) for Standarte 354...it's nice to think that this Musiker may have taken part in that very same 'treffen'....it really helps to bring history alive when one can put a face to a certain event...

Can you also confirm if it was in 1933 that the Dienstrock (four-pocket tunic) became the new form of attire for SA personnel ?

...was the Dienstrock worn by all ranks? ...was it considered more a 'dress uniform' style of jacket ? ...would the SA rank and file carry on wearing the regular 'brownshirt' on a day to day basis ? or had the traditional 'brownshirt' become a mode of dress only for wear on days of celebrating the old street fighting times ?

..over to you !

You're slipping Chris ;) , the one above is the Bremen Flugtag in 1932. The one on the first pic I showed is the 1929 RPT :rolleyes:

Still a very rare badge, and great to see the pic. of it in wear, I assume your badge is the hollow, anyone have the solid version?

Thanks for sharing

C

Hi Clay,

For what I know the Dienstrock was introduced in 1932, and for so far as I know for each rank. I don't know exactly when, and for wich occasion they wore the Braunhemd instead of the Dienstrock, but they wore both till the end of the war.

Best,

Laurens

@ Ulsterman...nice photo, thanks for sharing...

@ Laurens...

Thanks again for the information Laurens...personally, I prefer the traditional Braunhemd photo's...the Dienstrock is more formal looking...

...but having said that, here's an example of a SA musikkorps wearing the Dienstrock.....and if you look closely you will note just in behind the front row, a small SA-mann wearing his Braunhemd with 'swallowsnests'.....maybe he didn't receive the memo about wearing the full uniform !

"Mein Kamerad im Braunhemd du, la? unser Banner wehn,

Der Sturmsoldat will rote Fahnen und schwarze hakenkreuze sehn,

Der Sturmsoldat will rote Fahnen und schwarze hakenkreuze sehn!"

Great picture again Clay. This picture seems to be taken arround 1936-37. Because the wear of the first and the second pattern eagle? The one with the Braunhemd must be the youngster of the group. Maybe he doesn't had time or the money to buy a nice Dienstrock :)

...hehe...quite possible my friend !

...here's another use of Dienstrock with a few Braunhemd thrown in...

...the SA-Kapelle Quedlinburg...

"Braun sind die hemden und rot ist das Blut, stark sind die herzen und stark ist der Mut.

Hitler's Getreue so schallt unser Schwur, rettendes Neue zeigt an unsre Uhr."

...what books would you recommend for the study of SA uniforms ???

...two modern references that are my library are:

"The SA ; A Historical Perspective" by Jill Halcomb (signed by author!)

"Collectors Guide to Sturmabteilung Insignia" by David Fuller (signed by author!)

...does anyone else have recommendations ???

Hi Laurens,

Good, good....

...I have seen a couple of very expensive 1930's period SA uniform books with excellent coloured drawings...but the prices asked were really crazy...

...here's another SA musiker portrait...an enlarged 'passport' sized photo...

post-2711-1182978030_thumb.jpg

Very nice picture again. Gruppe Sachsen.

It seems you have an eye for music-bands :)

I think I've seen that book for sale. Absurd price indeed, but it's a great book. I have a reprint of it wich I bought from Ebay a while ago. Great period reference.

Best,

Laurens

• 4 years later...

I have an SA lagermuetze that is pictured in "Headgear of Hitler's Germany, Vol. 3", pp 316 and 584. It is a direct vet acquisition from Gr Hochland with eagle and edelweiss on the side. It is unique in that it has "unofficial" blue and white cord piping. The piping is original to the manufacture of the muetze, not added later, as it is properly tucked in and sewn.

Has anyone seen another piped lagermuetze from this or any other SA gruppe? I assume it may have been made for an officer.

EBJ