News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My Waterloo Campaign Medal

This was the first British Medal I ever bought back in 86, I just liked the large ring attachment for the ribbon and later found out that it was a good start.

Named to John Smith 42nd or R.H. Regt Infantry

Regards

Jim

Same ribbon as on the Army Gold Cross, Gold Medal, MGS, Hanoverian Waterloo and Burma Medal 1826, crimson edged with dark blue.

Paul

WOW talk about rare!! What ribbon was worn with this medal?
    Edited by paul wood

This was the first British Medal I ever bought back in 86, I just liked the large ring attachment for the ribbon and later found out that it was a good start.

Named to John Smith 42nd or R.H. Regt Infantry

Regards

Jim

Hi Jim,

Good start indeed, what a great medal. I've pretty well given up hope of owning one, maybe in the next life time. :lol:

Welcome to the forum.

Cheers :beer:

Brian

Hi Jim,

That's a super medal - I have my eye on one myself, one day...

It's interesting that about 10 minutes before I saw your post I was reading Antiques Trade Gazette which lists a Waterloo medal for sale at Lawrences auctioneers in Somerset. This one is to Lewis Polson, 42nd or R.H. Infantry.

Did the 42nd play a pivotal role in the battle? I know some regiments are more desirable than others, but not much more than that.

Cheers

Gilbert

Be careful here and stick to reliable sourcs as there are DANGEROUS fakes about in quantity.

There were good articles in the OMRS journal and JOMSA on this.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Dear Gilbert,

The 42nd Highland Regiment were certainly in the thick of it with 3 officers killed and 21 wounded and 47 other ranks killed and 266 wounded (337 casualties out of a strenght of 526). The first Battalion formed part of 9 British Brigade commanded by Major General Pack which was part of Reserve 5 Division. Certainly a most desireable medal and certainly worth a premium over some regiments which saw relatively small action at Waterloo.

Hope this helps

Paul

Hi Jim,

That's a super medal - I have my eye on one myself, one day...

It's interesting that about 10 minutes before I saw your post I was reading Antiques Trade Gazette which lists a Waterloo medal for sale at Lawrences auctioneers in Somerset. This one is to Lewis Polson, 42nd or R.H. Infantry.

Did the 42nd play a pivotal role in the battle? I know some regiments are more desirable than others, but not much more than that.

Cheers

Gilbert

Thanks Paul,

That's really helpful. I am vaguely tempted by the one up for auction (estimate ?800, but these generally tend to be conservative) - however, as Ed says you really have to know your stuff with these medals and I am certainly not confident enough in my judgement on them at present.

Cheers

Gilbert

Gilbert,

Unless you can physically examine the medal I would advise extreme caution, unless it is one of the reputable specailist auctioneers or dealers.

Many Waterloo medals around are renamed (albeit relatively contempary with the issue) for two main reasons. The recipient was a thirsty man and pawned the medal and then bought another one later or as it was guaranteed a free drink if an elderly gent walked in wearing a Waterloo medal, so some were altered for the purpose. Also not so much a problem as I am concerened, sometimes the spelling name of the recipient on the rim was incorrect and was corrected by the recipient (In that case you have to rememeber that they didn't just have their medals for the benefit of future collectors). If you are able to view a local sale always take Spink's British Battles and Medals with you which gives clear illustrations of the correct naming style.

All the best

Paul

Thanks Paul,

That's really helpful. I am vaguely tempted by the one up for auction (estimate ?800, but these generally tend to be conservative) - however, as Ed says you really have to know your stuff with these medals and I am certainly not confident enough in my judgement on them at present.

Cheers

Gilbert

Jim,

There appears to be two John Smiths on the 42nd Waterloo Roll.

One served in Capt. and Lieut.-Col. Thomas F. Wade's Company, the other in Capt. James Stirling's Company.

There are also at least two Pte. John Smith's on the MGS roll (one with single clasp Corunna and another seven clasp medal).

All the best,

Derek

• 2 months later...

Is the suspension ring an original steel one, or a replacement silver one - looks like silver?

Just got the medal out and confirmed that it is a steel ring and clip once I found the medal I had to look for a magnet, took longer to find one than the medal.

Jim