News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello,

I just got this regiments commemorative cross. I dont know anything about this award and need to get some info. Like I know it is 2nd modell (first modell has straight arms).

Can please someone let me know:

When this cross was established

Approx. how many awarded

How looks ribbon

Awarding criterias

etc

10514501_fiUp.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Noor

Guest Rick Research

I*'ve never seen one with straight arms.

It is a vanity piece, purchased by veterans. They custom ordered a bar with their regimenta's numbers, but the crosses are all the same.

... but the crosses are all the same.

Nope, there are three types: one reads "Treu dem Regiment", one reads "Treu dem Bataillon" and the third one is the navy version with "Treu der Marine" and: this is just the second one I've seen without swords ... :speechless1: What reads the averse?

I sold dozens of those but still don't know much about these ...

I think it can't be said that easily as this decoration belongs to a quiet comlex system.

This decoration (Regimental Commemorative Cross of the former German Army) was in this style the second model as a General Commemorative Cross.

Before there where the Regimental-, Bataillons- and the Navy-Commemorative Cross.

But i personally think that it happened another way - as why should be such a triple-system invented and than reduced to only one (which is not even wearable on the medalbar?).

Also the production of the unit clasps are easier on the "medalbar-triple-type" as these are stamped in and not raised from the ground which would make a special die for each unit neccesary.

Most of the decorations of the "triple-style" are found with swords (nearly all i've seen) and only a few are found without - these shows, that there was also a difference between comtattants and noncombattants.

Also is a huge variety on ribbons in use, which to my knowledge, is not completly interpretable up to know - but i think that there is a logic behind as otherwise they would have used all the same ribbon.

So in total its still a veterans organisation award, but a very interesting one which has not told us everything we want to know up to now.

Christian

Guest Rick Research

I was unclear-- I meant the SHAPE of the cross being the same. I didn't even notice the lack of swords. :blush:

The only ribbon I happen to have is for the "Bataillon" version:

That is it on the top of this half-ribbons 13 lapel bow:

Now I know we have had these come up before here, but I can't FIND any images to link. :banger:

Mike Dunn had this one 2 1/2 years ago and I saved his image for the planned Ribbon Bar Article 2nd Edition

That's the "regiment" version with the expensive (more so for RIBBON bar size!!!) unit bar. I'm surprised that nobody could come up with one in their own collection!

Thanks Rick and Christian! I try to research this award more now.

Thanks Christian for that! It is the most interesting commemorative piece I have at the moment. :jumping:

Kind regards,

Noor

Thanks Rick and Christian! I try to research this award more now.

Yeah, me too, I think. If we all work together this should bring a result ...

I have been selling dozens of those, but almost all had new ribbons mounted so no big help for the ribbon mystery. :banger:

Hi everybody,

These Units WWI commemorative medals had different ribbons. I don't know all the variants but the colours of the ribbons depended for which unit and Waffengattung (Infanterie, Artillerie, Kavallerie, Kriegsmarine).

Here's an example, this is the ribbon used for J?ger troops.

Ciao,

Claudio

This bar has a lot of clasps but unfortunately the clasp for the Infanterie Regt. 91 fell off... Interesting is the last medal (WWI commemorative medal for the members of the 91th Infantry Regiment, Oldenburg).

Sometimes you can see infantry also with a blue red white ribbon, like in this case.

Ciao,

Claudio

Hey Claudio, thanks for your explanations, but I'm not sure if they are all right ... ?

Here a bar with "Inf. R. 11. M.L.W.", the ribbon as well with red and yellow, but no Garde - but the Unit is from Baden!

Hi again,

But anyone who have this cross without swords, what kind a ribbon would be match with that then? Or maybe Infanterie, Artillerie, Kavallerie or Kriegsmarine one? :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Noor

Edited by Noor

But anyone who have this cross without swords and what kind a ribbon would be match with that then? Or maybe Infanterie, Artillerie, Kavallerie or Kriegsmarine one? :rolleyes:

My guess is: none of those! I'll have to look fot it ..

Our "137er" had as well the red and green ribbon, but I've never seen this again and don't think this is the usual one for infantry ...

Edited by saschaw

My guess is: none of those! I'll have to look fot it ..

I'd say: neither infantry, artillerie, kavallerie nor navy, but ... "Verkehrstruppen" :speechless1:

The only cross I know is for "Feld Verk. Reg. 66", but I've got no idea what ribbon matches here. It might be one of those common ones for infantry, like in posting #14.

I still am not sure what sense the different ribbons make, but I'm pretty sure there has to be one. :P

Here's the last one, I think - again a Bavarian, this time with five ribbons but six minis as he's wearing two "Regimentskreuze", but still no clasp for them:

Sascha,

Since these medals were purchased privately I think that the veterans did chose the ribbon they liked most, although I am pretty sure that the Ordensh?ndler had a ribbon system per type of unit to go with their "Treu dem Regiment/Battalion" crosses.

Ciao,

Claudio

Here a post 34-35 medal bar (but still naughty with that Flandernkreuz with bars) with a Weimar-Era ribbon bar of the same recipient with a ribbon for a Regimentskreuz on the last position... (blue red blue).

Edited by Claudio