News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Help identify visor cap

I just purchased a small collection and this visor cap was included. I presume it is a Weimar period cap with this early style wreath.

My knowledge of this period is limited so you help would be appreciated.

Regards

Jim

Guest Rick Research

Yes indeed. Assuming the cockades haven't been swapped around, that's the regulation model ONLY worn in 1919. The traditional Reichs tricolor in the wreath was replaced by the Weimar plucked chicken eagle in an oval VERY soon after this temporary transition type was authorized. Blue and silver state cockade up top (correct) is for Bavaria.

Guest Rick Research

I'm back. Having searched the Vast Subterranean Archives, not surprisingly this is the ONLY photo I can find of this model cap in wear:

Poor Sad Sack-like Georg Strupp here doesn't seem to have anything that FITS. One wonders what is holding his belt halfway up his abdomen.

Guest Rick Research

But since this model cap insignia was introduced on 5 May and supposedly replaced on 29 September 1919 (!!!) it's the best I can do.

Strupp is NOT wearing the correct regulation collar Litzen, shoulder cords, or arm unit insignia. All he got fresh and new out of stores was his hat!

He is a Bavarian too-- note the "In Treue Fest" belt buckle.