News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Kuomintang/Taiwan Air Force Medal?

Guest Rick Research

Guest Rick Research

A friend showed me this at yesterday's militaria show. It came from the estate of a U.S. Burma front veteran, but don't know if the antiquated bomber design and old looking ribbon means he got this DURING the war, or long afterwards FOR the war. The bright chromed finish seems modern compared to the design. Not a clue what it says. The suspension on top of the ribbon seems to imply that this is a 2nd Class of whatever it is. The suspension fitting fits the little ribbon's size.

???

reverse:

Guest Rick Research

Sorry, all I have is this camera shot. I'll try scanning it in mid August.

• 3 weeks later...
    Guest Rick Research

As promised, here are scans made on my Epson when it came by to visit today. Because it is BRIGHT mirrored chrome/nickle finish, the scanner makes it look darker.

Thanks, Hugh. Just (more) evidence as to why we all need to learn languages! :beer:

My friend in Taipei has called the Museum. We may get a little more.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Guest Rick Research

I can only manage Chinese dates... I need ALPHABETS to work with. :catjava:

:cheers:

Well, the age remains a mystery, since Chiang was still around into the 1970s.

Thanks for your efforts, Hugh. Completely outside anything the owner or I can manage with our assortment of European languages.

• 4 weeks later...

I can only manage Chinese dates... I need ALPHABETS to work with. :catjava:

:cheers:

Well, the age remains a mystery, since Chiang was still around into the 1970s.

Thanks for your efforts, Hugh. Completely outside anything the owner or I can manage with our assortment of European languages.

The Museum finally got back to us - I'm posting the complete message from my friend.

I got two calls back from the Museum, the medal you are searching for origin came out from a civilian organization, Aviation Construction Association, ( not MoD) chaired by Madame Chiang. Thus it shows the name of her husband: Generalissimo Ke-Shiek Chiang. I was told that your book ( that I gave you ) shows Gen. Ku, Chu-Tung of ROCAF obtained a type-A medal from the same organization. While your picture shows a type-B medal. These are not official medals, thus MoD/ROCAF is not obligated to keep the file. During WW II, I was told, such ambiguous things happen quite often.

So, not MOD/military, but certainly with a certain level of status due to Mme Chiang's sponsorship.