News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

This bar just arrived in the mail, courtesy of our very own Stogierick. Along with it, came an attribution to a Bavarian aviator named Bauer (exactly which Bauer hadn't quite been nailed down). What suprised me, once I actually got this bar in my grubby little paws is that the silver Luftwaffe DA was originally gold. If you look at the edge of the eagle, you can see that only the front was painted. No idea when it might have been painted, or for what reason, but there are traces of silver paint on the ribbon itself - suggesting that it was done after "installation". Rick Research was kind enough to poke his head out of his current research project to suggest that this might in fact be the bar of a Landespolizei officer that ended up in the Luftwaffe.

Curiouser and curioser...

--Chris

post-184-1124586458_thumb.jpg

post-184-1124586467_thumb.jpg

Guest Rick Research

Definitely a FLYING combination of Anhalt and Brunswick to a Bavarian.

Yes Bob, you ARE. Now you know how Evil Ricky started his sad, slow decline! ohmy.gifcheeky.gif

Guest Rick Research

The first type's "1939" bar's outer sides curved as if following the lines of the upper cross arm on the EK ) ( rather than / to make keyboard attempts at it.

Here are a couple of Otto Schickle-made 1st style Spangen in big and little sizes:

[attachmentid=8908]

close up of 1st type left below, regular (whompin enormous) type right below:

[attachmentid=8917]

(Those "zinky" guys have NO clue we talk about their stuff in here! tongue.gifninja.gif )

post-160-1124638593_thumb.jpg

post-160-1124639770_thumb.jpg

My wife worked as a picture framer for over ten years, and it's amazing the odd, yet archivally-friendly, chemicals that we have buried in the closet and under the kitchen sink. blush.gif

Silver crap came right off, without any damage to the eagle, or smudging onto the surface of the ribbon itself.

Edited by landsknechte

I'm sorry, but I think you have made a serious error in altering this bar. If you look quite closely, you now have a base-metal (tombak) eagle, not a gilded one like the one right next to it. Since this bar was basicly mint and unused, it was made the way it was, with the full intent of the owner (and maker) that that was a silver eagle. Now this piece is altered from what it was intended to be.

I would not recommend to anyone that they do this.

Are there any confirmed examples of devices being painted by the tailors that put but ribbon bars together?

I have no doubt that device was painted (plating doesn't leave brush marks), and that the painting was done after the device was attached to the bar (trace amounts of silver paint on the ribbon).