News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

ek2 #23 unique

[attachmentid=8913][attachmentid=8914]hi does anyone have an ek2 #23mm with slots cut into the "4" soldered sides?

my assumption is, that it was mfg. this way to drain any moisture that would accumulate between the core and the frame. your thoughts appreciated rolleyes.gif

thanks Rick Schmid

post-403-1124639000_thumb.jpg

post-403-1124639064_thumb.jpg

Are you sure that the slots are there intentionally and aren't just a result of sloppy soldering?

Hi George the ek2 has four slots milled into the corners. if looked at through a 20x loop one can see a tool mark running perpendicular to the cross. its looks like a controlled cut as the slot is wider than the seam. the balance of the soldering looks perfect. if more pics are needed for all four sides let me know i'll do my bet to get them posted. higher resolution would help but im still restricted. i also have some double marked ek2 posted. your thoughts would be appreciated

thanks Rick Schmid

I checked a mint "23" in 2nd Class in my collection, and discovered the marks you highlighted above to have been filed & finished down. In other words, the "slots" were filled, and the finishing file marks are perpendicular to the seam, but just in the inner corners. I would hypothesize with the marks on yours, Rick, the solder was either removed or wore away. Wouldn't those inner corners be the most difficult to (hand?) solder anyway? I am sure there were finishing files that fit those inner corners perfectly, thereby hastening the final hand finishing process, but these are just hypotheses, gentlemen. . .

obverse:

[attachmentid=8983]

reverse:

[attachmentid=8984]

Edited by Bill Garvy

Rick, my "23" has solid inner corners all around, so I can think of no reason for the apparently drilled holes on your example.  But it's interesting!

Geroge & Bill I'm not sure of the detail finishing operations on the Iron Cross but your logic sounds good. My theory is, that this was probably the final soldering step and it was missed leaving small voids between the frames all in the same approx. areas the inner corners all 4. An especially if no one else has the same situation. I would like to get some more detail on the final process.

Anyone with this valuable info?

Again comments or info welcome.

Thanks for your speedy response

Rick Schmid