News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A WW2 Evaders' Medal Group

Part 3 :

In a nutshell : the recipient, aged 16 at the time, not keen on possible deportation to Germany for forced labour decided to join the Belgian forces in Britain. Went through occupied France and Vichy France, crossed the Pyrenees on foot, was imprisoned in Spain but made it to Britain in the end via Portugal and Gibraltar.

Was posted to a Belgian forces anti-tank company and eventually landed in Normandy exactly two months after D-Day with the Brigade Piron. Participated in the liberation of Belgium and Holland (wounded twice) and ended the war as a sergeant on the occupation force in Germany.

More detailed information and some scans of documents can be found on my website : Hendrik's Medal Corner under the heading "Hall of Honours" (last item in that section).

Cheers,

Hendrik

Can you provide any background on his story?

Hello Paul,

Don't really know what you're after as to the "background" ... do you mean on the escape part of the story or on Belgian forces in Britain at the time or the Piron Brigade in particular ?

Cheers,

Hendrik

I was asking about his escape story.

Paul,

I'm afraid there's not much more I can tell about it other than what's on my website ... the man's widow didn't have more details on that.

More generally speaking, in 1943 the "usual" route to get out of Belgium to join the forces in Britain went via France, Spain and Portugal. In this case, the lads made their way under their own steam but there were also the resistance related escape lines for allied aircrew etc. that more or less followed the same direction. Those were better organized and capture in Spain was less frequent although it still occurred. Especially the "Comet Line" still has a great reputation as such an escape line - its name was derived from the speed with which aircrew were transferred to non-occupied territory. But that's an entirely different story.

As to what Lievin Dewael and his friend went through, I can't even start to think what went through a 16-year old's mind when making the journey by train through occupied France - no doubt having to be very much on the alert to dodge German checkpoints and/or inspections. Then crossing the demarcation line with Vichy France and making their way over the Pyrenees mountains on foot and so forth. And all the time, in the back of their minds, knowing that being arrested by the Germans would see them end up in a German work camp ...

Cheers,

Hendrik