News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I have an entry in the Stammrolle of one of my Grandfathers - he was tranfered in Jan. 1917 'til 13th of April 1917 to the Sturmbataillon 16, 4. (?) Sturmkompanie.

File0009.jpg

Does anyone have any Information on this unit?

What is the meaning of the abbreviation before Sturmkompanie? Could it be: 4. (Pr.) Sturmkompanie (preussische)

Regards, Hardy

Edited by Naxos

I can only respond at any length tonight; just found something for this unit an hour ago in a French unit history.

But, for several reasons, "preussische" is almost certainly not the answer. But it certainly is an odd notation.

Bob Lembke

I can only respond at any length tonight; just found something for this unit an hour ago in a French unit history.

But, for several reasons, "preussische" is almost certainly not the answer. But it certainly is an odd notation.

Bob Lembke

Thanks Bob, I agree with you on the abbreviation, just looked like Pr

looking forward to hear more from you, Hardy

Hardy,

I'm pretty sure that members of the regular Storm Battalions were refered to as "Grenadier", so I think it is possible that the abbreviation is (Gr.).

There is a little information on S.-B. 16 in Jean-Louis Larcade's book, "Deutsche Sturmtruppen". This is a paperback book, printed in 2002.

It was composed of four Sturm-Komp. (3.Sturm-Komp. was W?rttemberg and the other three companies were made up of Baden troops) and a M.G.Komp. and a M.W.Komp. Two of the three Baden companies were dissolved by decree on Aug.22, 1918.

Depot Units:

1,2 and 4.Sturm-Komp:..........2.E.B./Inf.-Rgt.Nr.114

3.Sturm-Komp:......................E.B./Inf.-Rgt.Nr.120.(2.W?rttemb.)

M.G.Komp:............................2.Ers.M.G.K. XIV.A.K.

M.W.Komp:...........................E.B./Pio.-Bat.Nr.14.

Chip

Edited by Chip

This entry places my Grandfather during his time with the Sturmbataillon 16 in the Upper Alsace

File0006_cr.jpg

Musketier in the Baden IR169, 5. Kompagnie since Oct 1915 he saw first action in June/July 1916 at Serre in the northern sector of the Somme

In January 1917 he was transfered to the Sturmbataillon 16, 4. Kompagnie, on April 13 1917 he was wounded "gunshot wound left thumb".

After a stay in the 7. Kriegslazarett he was for a while in the Recuperation Company of the IR114.

In August 1917 he was back with his original unit IR169, 5.Kompagnie fighting at the Chemin des Dames. On 24th of November 1917 he was promoted to Gefreiter (wegen Tapferkeit vor dem Feinde) for bravery in the face of the enemy.

He was awarded the Iron Cross second class on Oct. 24 1917, the Baden silver merit medal and the wound badge in black.

Jan. 13 1917 to March 20 1917 Stellungsk?mpfe in the Upper Alsace

File00206_cr.jpg

Regards, Hardy

Edited by Naxos

Hardy,

I'm pretty sure that members of the regular Storm Battalions were refered to as "Grenadier", so I think it is possible that the abbreviation is (Gr.).

There is a little information on S.-B. 16 in Jean-Louis Larcade's book, "Deutsche Sturmtruppen". This is a paperback book, printed in 2002.

It was composed of four Sturm-Komp. (3.Sturm-Komp. was W?rttemberg and the other three companies were made up of Baden troops) and a M.G.Komp. and a M.W.Komp. Two of the three Baden companies were dissolved by decree on Aug.22, 1918.

Depot Units:

1,2 and 4.Sturm-Komp:..........2.E.B./Inf.-Rgt.Nr.114

3.Sturm-Komp:......................E.B./Inf.-Rgt.Nr.120.(2.W?rttemb.)

M.G.Komp:............................2.Ers.M.G.K. XIV.A.K.

M.W.Komp:...........................E.B./Pio.-Bat.Nr.14.

Chip

Thank you Chip, everything helps in the puzzle :cheers:

Edited by Naxos

Hardy;

Have you been following the recent info on S=B 16 in the current thread "Sturmbataillone Book"?

However, one "blank"; I thought I had found something on S=B 16 in a French regimental history that I read this morning, but I now realize that it was S=B Nr. 2.

Have you looked in the French storm troop book? Has anyone seen this book for a reasonable price? I promised to buy someone a copy, but could only find them at about $80, which was rediculous. I got a copy directly from the publisher. I think that his first printing was 500 copies. I had some exchange with the publisher, who seemed a bit of an odd duck, or possibly a bit dodgy.

The document that Chip has mentioned seems quite interesting, and may sort out some aspects of the FW question. His mention of the stamp is interesting. A study of a Pass of a machine gunner in S=B Rohr, which I am fortunate to have (a copy), has hinted at where S=B Rohr got their machine gunners from, based on the nature of the inked stamps in the Pass.

Bob Lembke

Hardy;

Have you been following the recent info on S=B 16 in the current thread "Sturmbataillone Book"?

However, one "blank"; I thought I had found something on S=B 16 in a French regimental history that I read this morning, but I now realize that it was S=B Nr. 2.

Have you looked in the French storm troop book? Has anyone seen this book for a reasonable price? I promised to buy someone a copy, but could only find them at about $80, which was rediculous. I got a copy directly from the publisher. I think that his first printing was 500 copies. I had some exchange with the publisher, who seemed a bit of an odd duck, or possibly a bit dodgy.

The document that Chip has mentioned seems quite interesting, and may sort out some aspects of the FW question. His mention of the stamp is interesting. A study of a Pass of a machine gunner in S=B Rohr, which I am fortunate to have (a copy), has hinted at where S=B Rohr got their machine gunners from, based on the nature of the inked stamps in the Pass.

Bob Lembke

Thanks Bob,

have you read the exerpt I posted in Chris' Sturmbataillon Rohr thread: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=13899&hl= it names a few members of the 1. Maschinengewehrkompanie SB 5 as well as the Kompanief?hrer Leutnant Priess.

He was awarded amongst other decorations the Mecklenburg Milit?rverdienstkreuz II Klasse and the Hamburger Hanseatenkreuz.

Hardy

Edited by Naxos

have you read the exerpt I posted in Chris' Sturmbataillon Rohr thread: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=13899&hl= it names a few members of the 1. Maschinengewehrkompanie SB 5 as well as the Kompanief?hrer Leutnant Priess.

Hardy

Yes, Hardy; I have extracted their names and other infp and put them in my roster, which is very small, as I have not gotten to putting von Schwerin's names in. Thanks for the information.

Bob Lembke