News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I have fussed around in the imperial period and still not have found my niche!!

I love the pour le merite but it is far beyond my financial means PLUS there are more land mines than I can negotiate.

Hummmm .. I have noted the pour le merite closely resembles the Johnitter Order. BUT I have found very little information on the Johanniter.

Would someone plus explain the Johanniter Order and give some comment as to the advisability of collecting such items?

Rod

I have fussed around in the imperial period and still not have found my niche!!

I love the pour le merite but it is far beyond my financial means PLUS there are more land mines than I can negotiate.

Hummmm .. I have noted the pour le merite closely resembles the Johnitter Order. BUT I have found very little information on the Johanniter.

Would someone plus explain the Johanniter Order and give some comment as to the advisability of collecting such items?

Rod

Rod,

The Balley Brandenburg des Ritterlichen Ordens Sankt Johannis vom Spital zu Jerusalem, known as the Johanniter Order, is a Protestant order of chivalry that was originally a part of the Catholic order called The Sovereign Order of Saint John of Jerusalem of Rhodes and of Malta, commonly known as the Knights of Malta. With the Protestant reformation in Germany the branch there became Lutheran instead of Catholic. It is still very active in Germany today under the Herrenmeister Oskar Prince of Prussia. They have a web site (in German) at http://www.johanniter.de/org/orden/deindex.htm I'm afraid I know nothing about the collectability of Johanniter insignia.

Mike,

Thanks for the great information!

The Order is a very attractive one in my opinion and sure seems to have some interesting history.

I have not seen the medals listed for sale very often.

I will keep digging.

Rod

Hello Rod,

Mike Dwyer?s explanation of the order is right on the money. Perhaps because it is primarily a religious award, it is not seem to be widely collected; but I agree with you, the badges of the order have a real beauty to them; and their workmanship tends to be uniformly high. Even a bronze gilt Rechtsritter?s badge (see below) can be quite impressive. The Commander?s badges are truly awesome.

While the Commander and Rechtsritter badges seem to be plain, Ehrenritter?s badges are often seen mounted with brilliants. Be patient, all types come on the market from time to time; as do their documents.

Best wishes,

Wild Card

Wild Card,

Very, very nice! :jumping:

I agree the Johanniter crosses are among the most beautiful. Although they are very similar, of course, to the Malta crosses and the British Venerable Order crosses, I like the Johanniter ones the best (I guess it's the Prussian eagles!)

Edited by Mike Dwyer

I thought about buying one, as I've a medal bar whose wearer had as well the Johanniter Ehrenritter.

Might someone tell me, when they changed from real gold to silver gilt or bronce gilt for those?! In 1916 as with other Prussian orders, or earlier in this case? I know the order still exists until today, but i f I buy one at same point, I want one that matches to a ca. 1910 award ...

Many thanks to all..

Somewhere along the way (I don't think I dreamed it :unsure: ) I have seen pics of prussian officers wearing the Johanniter medal along with their military action decorations. I also understand the basis for the award was "chivalry" which could include many humanitarian things. Seems sort of strange for military personnel to be wearing such an award except perhaps in the case of medical personnel or perhaps a chaplain. To wear this award along with military action awards intrigues me.

If someone would comment further I would appreciate it very much.

By the way, Emedals as a cased commanders cross in gold circa 1900 for $2,300 that looks great!!

Rod

Edited by Rod

Rod,

Probably the most common Johanniter badge you see in photos is the white cloth cross worn sewn on the lower portion of the jacket. Kaiser Wilhelm had one sewn on every one of his uniforms, I believe.

Here's a photo of the Kaiser and you can see the large white cloth cross on his jacket.

I could be mistaken, but I believe that is a Johanniter neck cross he's wearing also.

kaiserwilhelmjohnniterbsj7.jpg

Here's a close-up of the neck cross from another photo.

kaiserwilhelmiijohanniten4.jpg

And last, but not least, here's a photo of Duke Johann Albrecht of Mecklenburg-Schwerin who's also wearing the white cloth cross on his jacket.

johannalbrechtherzogvonhp2.jpg

Edited by Mike Dwyer

Great pics!! At least I was not dreaming that I had seen some!

Hummm ... I now understand one had to prove noble birth to be admitted to the order. Maybe it was sort of the "Betty Crocker seal of approval" to tout linage. For the Kaiser to wear it certainly looks like it was a highly valued award.

Very interesting.

Many thanks to all.

Rod

Many thanks to all for their response...

At the risk of being a pain I still get the feeling that the order is still not being appreciated.

I can't be more specific .... BUT there seems to be to me more to it than what has been expressed.

Maybe it it just a "old ole boys club" or rather a "van" club but does it not seems more exclusive ???

Sorry to keep hitting this so hard.... BUT ....

Sorry!!!

Rod